Monday, July 25, 2011

Artist Interview: Scott Rambo III




What is your name: Scott Rambo III
From Plano, Texas

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Mostly self taught. My first year in college (1963) I was an art major at Glassboro State College in Glassboro, NJ. I then studied structural engineering followed by electronics which is where I spent most of my career. In 2008 I was introduced to custom hand engraving with the use of a high speed dental drill. I completed an engraving class by the world renowned Ken Brown and was certified in 2009.

What is the style of your pieces: My carvings are very diverse in style from contemporary, geometric to very detailed scenic or floral designs.

What is the medium in which you work: Using a high speed dental drill I hand-carve ostrich and emu eggs. With the same equipment I also engrave on glass, metal and wood. During the holidays and special events I can often be found at one of the local Dallas/Fort Worth area Nordstrom or Dillard’s department stores engraving personal messages on customer fragrance bottles.

What started you on your path as an artist: In the early 1960’s I enjoyed a bit of artistic talent during my school years and was fortunate to win a few local art events. A stint in the U.S. Navy, new family responsibilities and a career in computers drew me away from art for many years. Then in the mid 1980’s I became interested in photography and became a part time wedding photographer which I still enjoy today. In 2008 I was introduced to engraving and

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: I love the joy my work brings to each of my customers and observers during live events. The smile on their faces and twinkle in their eyes as they explore the detail of each custom piece.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Photography

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have never had a personal show but am currently participating in the Vertu Art Exhibit in Plano, TX and OXIDE Art Gallery in Denton, TX. These are mostly with one to three of my carved ostrich eggs, of differing styles, being part of a mixed medium exhibit.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: No, I wear just about anything that I do not mind getting very dirty with egg particles and dust from the carving process. The dust go’s everywhere which is why my wife ‘encouraged’ me to move my studio from one of the spare rooms to the garage!

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Finding buyers who do not mind spending a few $$ on none essentials during tight economic times.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Peanut butter and crispy bacon on fresh bread!!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: More time to carve exploring different styles and presentation.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Salvador Dali

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person? None come to mind.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have two smallish dogs which love my work (they have both told me so) but do not care for the noise of the carving tools. Yap yap yap!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Three eggs are currently being shown at OXIDE Gallery in Denton, TX.

Web address: www.scottrambo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment