Monday, July 11, 2011

Artist Interview: Michelle Izquierdo



What is your name: Michelle Izquierdo 

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I attended the University of Maryland and received a BA in studio art.

What is the style of your pieces: My pieces are abstract. 

What is the medium in which you work: I primarily work in acrylic and oil paints.

What started you on your path as an artist:  I've always been creative and I used art as an outlet. But, once I  attended my first painting class art became something that I could not live without. 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: The most important thing art has brought to my life is a voice to be bold in a manner I'm not in my everyday life. Art has brought me a way to let out my emotions out in a stressful world. 

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:  I love sculptures, especially the sculptures that are made of rare and unique materials.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I've been in juried shows and just recently had my first solo show (post college). The shows were all very lively filled with music, people, and artwork. Its always an adrenaline rush exposing my work to a new crowd. I'm always on the hunt to find a new place to showcase and new people to show my work to. 

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I have a pair of "paint" sweat pants that I love to work in. They are comfy and covered in paint. They are just a nice pair of pants to get messy in.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The most frustrating part about being an artist is trying share my work with people and making income off of my work.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: My favorite sandwich of all time is a Philly cheesesteak. It's a classic sandwich and it's delicious. 

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: When I first started painting my work was very bright and colorful. Now, my work is starting to range in color, flirting with the contrast of dark colors and bright together.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Georgia O' Keeffe 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: El Greco's piece entitled Laocoon. I saw this piece at the National Gallery of Art. The piece was huge and breathtaking    

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a dog and he loves when I'm painting because its quality hang out time for us. But, the final product he's actually a little scared of the canvas. lol

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: In a month, my work will be showcased at the Kentlands mansion for an event called art after dark. 


email  Mdoti918@gmail.com      

No comments:

Post a Comment