Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Artist Interview: Demian Wolfe




What is your Name: My name is Demian Wolfe

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I received my BFA at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1997. I am currently attending University of Maryland for my Masters

What is the style of your pieces: The style of art is in best describes as Urban Atrophy.

What is the medium in which you work: Photography and Painting

What started you on your path as an artist: A few dedicated teachers came up to me and lead me to a dedicated art teacher, his name is Ooron Barnes.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/55147318263 - with his instruction I would have never found my calling in art.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Inspiration, patience and that I am not as crazy or as strange as I originally thought.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I enjoy drawing, painting, graphics… I basically love anything I can get my hands on.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I do have art shows in the DC area… and they are fairly interesting and they usually involve someone being naked before the night… hahaha.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I dress in black, when doing my photography… I am most comfortable wearing nothing with labels…

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Its hard to convince people of your passion and education, if there is a frustration of being an artist… it would be best described by doing online dating. it sucks, because the opposite sex is looking for stability, money and a house, I am looking for inspiration and something real. So there you go…Try That one on for frustration.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Ruben or a Cuban – I love mustard and cabbage.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  A Best friend, a muse of sorts, was shot and kill by his jealous lover, his name was “Nathen Dirk Smiler.” Dirk and I would spend countless nights in the pursuits of ultimate expression, he use to display my art at his house and throw huge parties to display them to the masses. He called me Brother and I enriched his life the only way I knew. His passion and love for wooing women was awesome, he never forgot a name and there was no woman safe from his charms, he was the modern day… Casanova, his love ultimately got him killed, but he lived his life the way he wanted…

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Loaded question…. I am my favorite artist currently. I honestly don’t have much time to personal reflection. But if there is an artist that grabs me most, it is Ivan Albright. He painted ugly, He painted anything but the ideal… but by looking closely at his work, I found perfection within what could be considered nothing but a mass of “gross” With the teaching of Ooron Barnes, beauty is and can be obtained by only looking down within a one square inch, if you allow yourself to focus.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
I don’t think I can tell you one single piece of art that moves me… I have a fascination, with interactive presentations… where I can stand, touch and be part of the art.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  have a fat deaf American Eskimo named Dolce Doggins, that I adopted from an ex-girlfriend she loves going on art adventure but usually declines interviews, unless you offer her food. I have a collection of ugly exotic fish that I named after my x girlfriends, The fish don’t mind my art, the x girlfriends are remotely amused that I name a thousand dollar fish after them. (Sonia: I have a yard bird named Dolce and my dog is a little deaf too)

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I current have a gallery openings in the Georgetown town area in DC. 



Facebook:Demian Wolfe

No comments:

Post a Comment