Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Artist Interview: Joyce Dade




What is your name:  Joyce Dade

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I studied art and advertising design at community college and the fine arts at, Brooklyn College where I received a BA degree.

What is the style of your pieces:  The style I prefer to work in has to do with special effects:  Blur, haze, fuzz, sand, metallics and other special effects (software manipulations) applied to conventional photography.

What is the medium in which you work:  Digital photography provides a great many opportunities to create something mysterious and at the same time a perspective that challenges the viewer somewhat.  Art photography provides a new perspective on everyday conventional imaging. 

What started you on your path as an artist:   I've been an artist since early childhood and knew that to be the case even then.  I suppose you could say that's how God designed me, to perform in the role as artist from day one. 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:   I chase after beauty, being involved in creating beauty and being dedicated to creating beauty allows me to actualize my primary role in life, my reason to be.  At the same time,  art allows me to share my visions of beauty with others and to make a contribution to culture.  I am extremely honored to be an artist.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:   Digital photography provides a wonderful platform for me to work in although; I started out as an abstraction painter.  I painted in oils for many years but, as times changed, I found that digital photography offered me the seeming unlimited possibility to create everything that I struggled so hard to create with pigment.  Abstract painting has moved over to second place but, painting was and is at the foundation of my creative work.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  I do not typically exhibit my creative work. I am an independent artist but, I have exhibited in a number of group shows.  Not sure how those who show all the time keep up with the stress of many showings, I'm happy to say, although, I know that may sound counter intuitive. 

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  Now that I am involved in photography, it does not matter what I wear.  I wear mini skirts on the beach when I shoot and sunglasses or other, everyday clothes when imaging elsewhere around town.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Frustration as an artist comes from seeing so much that goes for 'bad' art come to the forefront and get the recognition, reward and opportunity to make art history.  America has a peculiar standard in the arts to a certain degree and, I don't see it changing any time soon.  Artists of high caliber and talent easily get overlooked or receive no attention at all for all the obvious reasons.  When that happens, we all lose.  I find that reality to be frustrating but, be that as it may.  The possibilities for artists are more equitable now with the social media platforms and a wide world that can be navigated without the gatekeepers and agents of art who often miss the mark when it comes to what is visionary for the sake of, for example, cheap (but expensively priced) shock art and the like. 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  A meatball sandwich with cheese on Italian bread is high on my list of favorite sandwiches. 

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:   I have expanded my bag of special effects wizardry (that are not exactly tricks) so that I am currently working on a half dozen different series: Portraits, Bikes and Autos, Beach, Fireworks and Boardwalk, Self Portraits, Beautiful Neighbor Series, etc. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  I am very old (European) school.  My favorite artists are:  Pablo Picasso, Sir Howard Hodgkin, Georges Braque, the Italian Futurists, and the Cubists and on the American side, James Rosenquist for painting and Duane Michel come to mind in the photography category. The newly discovered photographer, Vivian Maier, appears to have been a photographer of genuine caliber of a high order and so, I include her to that list as well. 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:  You pose a really interesting question which is a little difficult to answer.  I have to go through the mental files now but, I would say for the record, in recent times, the work of the American painter, Kehinde Wiley.  A few years ago, I saw his work at the Studio Museum in Harlem.  The gallery was crammed with people and it was the summer.  He was on his way out with his dealer.  And as I arrived with some friends we noticed him in the lobby just before leaving.  When it came time to see his work close up, my mouth fell open.  I was astonished to see the size and beauty of his paintings and will never forget being almost dazed, wondering how he could have outdone the Old Masters as he so obviously managed to do. 

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I image my dog all the time and must have tens of thousands of images him.  He actually models for me.  He is extremely beautiful and always poses.  He's not that interested in seeing slideshows though and I can't figure out why.  He kind of refuses to look for very long but then again, we don’t watch TV very much either. 

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  I would like to say I do have an upcoming exhibition (I guess) but, as it is I don't have anything scheduled.  You'll be the first to know when I can arrange for that!  I enjoyed the interview, thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment