Friday, July 22, 2011

Artist Interview: Becky Joy


What is your name: Becky Joy

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I went to a community college several years ago, but continued my education through workshops around the country and at the Scottsdale Artists School with several nationally known artists.

What is the style of your pieces: impressionist landscapes

What is the medium in which you work: oil

What started you on your path as an artist: It is something that I have always wanted to do since I was a kid. I can't remember not wanting to be an artist. When I was in college, my instructor said that he felt that I could make a living as an artist. But there was never any direction as far as how to do so. When I moved from Oregon to Arizona, I found several artists that were making a living at art and doing very well. That is when I realized that I needed to follow my dream. It was no longer impractical.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: A sense of fulfillment and being totally involved with something.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: cityscapes

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have had gallery shows before, but most of my art has been sold at art shows, mainly at the Celebration of Fine Art in Scottsdale.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: no. I did at one time, but I found it depressing and decided to dress in decent clothes and wear an apron. Especially when I have painted at shows and want to look professional.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?Getting exposure. It is a very slow process. Rejection is hard too until you have enough acceptance that it is ok to get a few rejections.
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: rueben

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: The last two years has brought a lot of change. I have stepped back from selling and focused more on my work. I wanted to improve as an artist, tweak my work and find a new direction in marketing and subject. I felt that this economy was the best time to do that. My work has improved tremendously, I have entered and exhibited in several national shows. Which is something that I have never done before.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Camille Przewodek among many, many artists

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: wow, a hard question. I would say it is a sculpture by a friend of mine, Vala Ola. I traded for the sculpture. I had tears in my eyes with that trade. I love sculpture. And, I especially love the feel of it when I can place my hand or fingers in places that I can feel that the artist also placed their fingers. It really feels like a connection to me.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  I had a cat, but I wasn't home enough to give her the attention that she needed. I gave her to a better home. I'm on the road plein air painting too much.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I will be having a large exhibition at Gammage Auditorium at ASU in Tempe, AZ for the Arizona Centennial.

Web address     http://beckyjoy.com  
                  
email                   beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment