Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Artist Interview: Saija Salminiitty


What is your name:
Saija Salminiitty

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
High school art education (4 years) but primarily self taught.

What is the style of your pieces:
Modern surrealist; slightly dark but playful.

What is the medium in which you work:

Mostly oil and acrylic paintings. I also do some jewelry, charcoal/pencil sketches, and black and white ink work.

What started you on your path as an artist:
I was inspired by a close friend to start pursuing my passion, and from that inspiration I have launched all my efforts.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Happiness! I couldn't imagine life without it.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:

I really love photography; I am also intrigued by artistic body art.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
Currently most of my shows are very local and fairly comfortable. I love being able to talk to those who attend, not only to explain my art but also to get to know more about other people. In my group shows artists tend to bond with each other and form a small community feel during the show.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:

Not a certain set, but I have had a tendency of wearing yoga pants lately because I start working early in the morning.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Having an idea and not successfully rendering it the way you had it in your mind; it is a terribly frustrating feeling! Also, having too many ideas but not enough time in the day to complete all them.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
It's a tie between tomato and avocado (with lime, salt, and pepper) and peanut butter with marshmallow creme.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:

I learned to paint with oil paints, and they used to compose the majority of my work, but this year I have started to include a lot more acrylic work.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:

Salvador Dali

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:

"Ape Worship" by Todd Schorr

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
No pets yet- but I really want a savannah cat!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:

I have an ongoing show at the Baron Gallery in Ocean Beach, San Diego which runs until October; I also have a one-night show with MySoiree on the 25th this month which should be held at the Stingaree Club.


www.shadowempress.com
shadowempress@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment