Monday, August 16, 2010

Artist Interview: Shane Tolbert


  What is your name: Shane Tolbert

  Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
Certainly a formal education that I'm working hard to un-learn.

  What is the style of your pieces:
To avoid being put in a box I'll have to say something broad based like Abstraction. Styles that I admire and consider important to my work would be Brazilian Concrete, Minimalism, Color Field, Post Painterly, and Hard Edged Abstraction.

  What is the medium in which you work:
Sodium chlorine solution on commercially dyed fiber

  What started you on your path as an artist:
Art was the first thing I was able to get attention for from people around me. So naturally I started doing it all the time.

   What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
  A sense of self and keen observational skills of the world around me.

  What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
It has to be a tie between Helio Oiticica/Brazilian Concrete Art and Gee's Bend Quilt Makers

  Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
Hopefully great parties. Openings are a good excuse to bring all of your friends together for fun.

  Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
  t-shirt, jeans, sneakers, and gas mask (when treating fabric)

  What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Where to begin...

  What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
There's a great sandwich place in Portland called Bunk's. They make a PERFECT fried egg sandwich on kaiser roll.

   Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
Numerous changes and always for the best. If one thing stands out the most it would be my new body of work.

  Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
My friends. The most important part of any artist's practice is having a core group of friends who make awesome work and respect the work you make.

   What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: 
The Cy Twombly Gallery on the Menil Campus in Houston.

  Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
My beautiful golden Abby doesn't care for my work. I'm guessing it's because my paintings aren't edible.

  Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  Call for Entries Show @ the SB CAF!

www.shanetolbert.com
shaneaustintolbert@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment