Monday, August 2, 2010

Artist Interview: TOM TRIAL





What is your name: TOM TRIAL (Tomcat)
  
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I am self taught. And continually strive to learn more and experiment.
What is the style of your pieces: abstract, expressionistic, elements of color field painting, impasto. 

What started you on your path as an artist: It started early in school when I went to my first museum.
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: introspection. focus. joy. a state of wakeful meditation.
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I like any work where you can feel the energy of the artist.
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I will be in my first group show, Opening Aug 10th.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Anything comfy, Tee's & jeans
  
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?   Having to sleep. I like to paint late at night which results painting until 3 to 4am and getting 2 to 4 hrs of sleep. I sleep in on weekends ;).
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Hmm, you can't go wrong with a good Grilled Cheese sandwich with tomato & bacon now can you? But really, just give me a good steak & salad and I'm good... and oh lotsa Dark Chocolate.... Munson's.
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
Over the past year the biggest change is just letting go of the past and creating moments in the now.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: For me two that inspire me is Jackson Pollack and Wilhem DeKooning. I love the energy and motion that you can feel from their work. I also love the work of SOnia Semone who has become a great friend, I love her use of color and technique, I think she's great! I am also a fan of Barnett Newman & Mark Rothko's color field paintings.
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: The first time I saw Jackson Pollack Number 9 at the great Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, CT, it was such a large piece yet it compelled you to get close to it, to feel the energy coming off it! 
Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I love cats... of which I am allergic, so alas I have none. Dogs are cool too.
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Yes, I will be in my first group show "Abstraction"  a 6 week exhibit, opening Aug 10th, 2010 thru Sept. 4th at Gallery 46 in Vernon, CT. With an opening reception Fri. Aug 20th. I am very excited! 
Abstraction show -  http://bit.ly/9du2Qc 

No comments:

Post a Comment