Monday, August 30, 2010

Artist Interview: J. Taylor




What is your name: J. Taylor

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Actually I'm both self taught and formally educated.  I've been creating since I was a child and taught myself a lot of the styles and techniques that I still currently use.  I received my formal education from California State University, Los Angeles.    

What is the style of your pieces:  I would say that my style is very versatile.  If I had to label it, I would call my art abstract with a twist of distorted urban realism. 

What is the medium in which you work: I like to work with oil and acrylic paint.  I have done several mixed media pieces as well but the base usually starts with oil or acrylic.

What started you on your path as an artist: After college I worked full time as a designer.  When time allowed, I would show my work at different events and sell a few pieces here and there.  Three years ago I almost lost someone really close to me.  Through this experience I learned that life can be very short and I owe it to myself to spend more time doing something that I love.  I've been a full time artist ever since.  

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Most importantly art has brought balance to my life.  It is the one thing that allows me to think thoroughly and express endlessly.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: My favorite genre of art besides what I work in would be Photo-realism.  I think the detailing and intensity is amazing.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I do have art showings.  They are very laid back and fun.  I love the fact that my shows are diverse because my art is inspired by all types of individuals.  The networking and business relationships that are developed is a plus as well.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  I try to set aside old cloths to wear when I paint but I always seem to ruin my good cloths to.  I have a tendency to look at something that I'm working on and make a few touch up's.  The next thing I know, I'm completely into the creativity stage and there is paint all over my cloths.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  The most frustrating part of being an artist is juggling the business and creativity of it.  I'm pretty much a one man operation, so things can get a little overwhelming at times.  Once I find the proper help, things should change for the better.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: That would have to be the great turkey sandwich on wheat bread.  There is nothing like a good turkey sandwich in the other hand while I'm painting.  Lol...

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: This year has brought good changes in my work.  There are more issues that I'm dealing with in my new work.  There is definitely a lot more consciousness and growth embedded in each piece.  The last 2 years have been difficult for most artist with the economic problems that we are faced with.  It has only made me grow as an artist  thus making my art more complex and direct.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Currently one of my favorite artist is Kehinde Wiley.  His approach to photo-realism is incredible.  His work has great conceptual contrast and beauty.  

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: I've been to several museums and galleries and seen some really great art.  But the most moving piece that I've seen in person was done by a fine artist named Shakir.  The piece was entitled "Colored Folks".  The subject matter and humor connected with me so much that I had to own it.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: We have a dog and a cat running around the house.  I have no clue what they think about the work.  Based on the way they act, it's probably driving them crazy!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  I have two upcoming events in Dallas.  "Emotions Of A King" is coming in October 2010 and "Imagine Forever"  is coming in November 2010.  The details are still being worked out so stay tuned.  There will be event dates and times listed on the website soon.  www.artbyjtaylor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment