Thursday, August 26, 2010

Artist Interview: Aaron Blumenshine




What is your name: Aaron Blumenshine

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I have a formal education from the University of California Santa Barbara in Art Studio with an Emphasis in Photography

What is the style of your pieces: My style deals with the fantastic, something unseen by many. I let my imagination run wild, I work without any limitations or suppression.

What is the medium in which you work: I mostly work with Photography, but I love pastels and painting as well.

What started you on your path as an artist: My High School friend Kelly Ballweber started me on my path as an artist, he was really inspirational, and really triggered the creative, analytical side of my mind.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Art has brought me confidence, and has given me purpose. It's honestly the most important factor in my life and I couldn't imagine living without it.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I love music, it's my second favorite genre of art. I grew up in a family of musicians and have been playing since I was 5 years old.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I do have art showings, they are usually pretty relaxed, and I always have a live musician. I love combining my two favorite things.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I do not have a certain set of clothes that I make art in, but that's an awesome question.  

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The most frustrating part is how some people look down upon artists, I always hate the classic " You'll have to get a real job" line...

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Definitely the BLT

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: This year has brought quite a few changes to my work, one of them has been working with found material, and combining photographs I've taken into one cohesive masterpiece. It's like the new age double exposure!

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Philip-Lorca diCorcia is my favorite artist, he has such a great creative style of photography.



What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
 The Rath of the Medusa by  Théodore Géricault is the most moving piece I've ever witnessed. You really have to see this painting in person to get the full effect.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have an overweight Dachshund and she isn't bothered :)

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I'm currently working on a photo book/ traveling exhibit but it will not be live until fall of 2011. I'll be updating the progress on my blog so keep posted!











No comments:

Post a Comment