Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Artist Interview: Nina Mattila



  
          What is your name: Nina Mattila

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
During 1991 – 1992 I've studied Ceramics at Harjula Settlementt Association in Lahti.
During 1999 – 2000 I've studied “Multimedia programming, Website design, Presentation Graphics” at the Kyamk, University of Applied Sciences in Kotka.
During 2010 I've studied “drawing” at Orivesi Institute and “Live model drawing and mosaic art” at The Adult Education Centre of Kotka.
During 2010 – 2011 I'll study Visual arts education of the St. Petersburg I. E. Repin Institute in Kotka.

What is the style of your pieces:
I'm open to new ideas, so I don't have a typical style in my works.
I'm a "bystander" and I try to capture the moments in different technics and styles.

What is the medium in which you work:
Painting, drawings, photography, installations, sculptors, light works...
 
What started you on your path as an artist:
I remember starting fifth school year at the age of ten. My main interests were hanging out with the boys and do everything that theirs twisted minds come up with. We had the choice to study either media studies or sports. It was an easy choice.
It was during this classes my fascination for photography originated.
I still remember the stillness of the darkroom and the intense feeling when the black and white images came alive in the developing fluid filled trays.
It was magic!
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Freedom to express myself
 
What is your favourite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Futurism and environmental art.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I've only had one showing so far (in 2004), because I've worked as an self employed graphic designer and photographer for the last 10 years.
In the beginning of 2010 I've desided to put all of my time and energy to art.
I'll have 2 or more showings next year and I really want to have at least 1 outside Finland.
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
No.. just regular clothes… trousers and shirts of some kind... :D
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Irregular income.

What is your favourite sandwich of all time:
Club sandwich!!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
Now that I have time to create art and communicate artistically I’ve started a whole new serie of paintings. I've also done sculptors to that serie.
 
Who is your favourite artist alive or dead:
Tim Burton, Marina Abramović, Salvador Dalí

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Marina Abramović: ‘The Artist is Present’  and  ‘Balkan Baroque’.

and  NAVEZ - Massacre of the Innocents
http://www.sandstead.com/images/metropolitan/NAVEZ_Massacre_of_the_Innocents_1824_.jpg

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
I've 3 dogs (rottweiler and 2 Jack Russel terriers).
My youngest dog helps me paint by sitting beside me. I really don't know if it helps me, but it's nice to have some company in my studio. :D
 
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
December 2010:       a collaborative exhibition at Kotkan Höyrypanimo, Kotka, Finland.
May 2011:                a collaborative exhibition at Kotkan Höyrypanimo, Kotka, Finland.
     
www.ninamattila.fi   
                                     
artist@ninamattila.fi

No comments:

Post a Comment