Monday, July 12, 2010

Artist Interview: Joey DeRuy



What is your name: Joey DeRuy

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am a self taught artist since my first gallery show at age 12 but I've recently taken some classes at City College of SF focused on Art History to make me more well rounded. 

What is the style of your pieces:  Portraiture, Neo - futuristic cubism.  Abstraction of portraiture. 

What is the medium in which you work: Multi medium, I can paint with any medium the project requires from oils to encaustic. but I prefer acrylics as a base. With acrylics you can also add other things such as pencil, crayon, markers, watercolor and other mediums that is not possible with oils. I feel oils to be outdated and a bit conservative. Acrylics just allow for more freedom. 

What started you on your path as an artist: Art was a means for me to communicate my feelings and emotions because as a child growing up i had many different learning disabilities which caused me great frustration. As I got older I became aware of my talents as did my many different teachers who encouraged me to keep at it, not only as a communication vehicle but because they all felt i had a talent, which I now know that I do 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: being able to engage in new experiences that bring people that may not have met otherwise into my life 

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: theater. its as if to see the child of paintings and Novelists. the stage is the canvas. its as if a painting has come to life with movement and spoken word. 

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes I participate in one every couple months typically, the shows tend to differ based on the demographics of the city, location of the show, the expectations of the gallery along with time of year. For me all shows feel and run like a wedding reception

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: no, just small shorts or underpants. I tend to be messy and i find for myself that being almost nude allows me to keep accountability of paint smudges . To many clothes can feel to me like a warrior armor. Which to me is not a comfortable physical state to relax in and create.


What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? 

The fact of finding a way to be creative and speak of your work what you do and what the painting means to me , without becoming off sounding egocentric, cocky and mightier then thou. Answering the questions people want without coming across with attitude. 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Schlotzsky sandwich 

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  This year has presented many opportunities for my growth as an artist, from where/how technology impacts our lives to life lessons which are shown in a couple pieces representing my state of mind during some tough personal struggles.

I've learned which is represented in "Technology" that the breakdown and ever present impact it has on our daily life that we all have become so connected and dependent on it for everything we do, it's hard to function without some form of it which i've tried to present.

Life lessons, both good and bad also had an impact on my art this year in a very profound way and people have really connected to them in a very meaningful way- both verbally and none verbal, i'm a better artist for it.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: George Condo

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:  Seurat's Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  For the most part no complaints. They love it . sometimes it can be difficult to show and explain to them the portrait inside the abstractive cubism, except my friend Allen who with his marketing background always has an opinion.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: As of now I don't have a show scheduled which is fine as I am currently focused on my new collection which I am very excited about.  Once that is complete I will do a big show incorporating both some of my older pieces along with the new work i've been hard at creating

No comments:

Post a Comment