Saturday, July 24, 2010

Artist Interview: Jean-Louis Lassez


What is your name:
Jean-Louis Lassez

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: Self taught


What is the style of your pieces:
 
I call it kibazen, it is a a kind of soft dadaism with a touch of zen. Kiba in Japanese means horse riding.

What is the medium in which you work: I draw and then enhance with various hardware and sofware. I have also a little sculpture made of a wooden palette and paint brushes, and another made of steel.

What started you on your path as an artist: I became very sick and used my infantile doodles as  systematic therapy. A doctor friend offered me the software and hardware that allowed me to give another dimension to my pieces.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Peace in my heart, in my mind, deeper connections and understanding with people I love.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Mathematics, in particular geometry.


Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I had art showings in small galleries in New York and Los Angeles, on several on-line galleries, I have pieces  in the Museum of Computer Art in Brooklyn and in the Museum of the Kinsey Institute

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I love my Hawaian Reyn Spooner shirts, wear jeans and swedish clogs.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
When people praise your work out of politeness, but then I learned fast that it is no big deal.


What is your favorite sandwich of all time: The "Pan Bania",  which is "salade nicoise" in a roll, you  eat one on the Canebiere with a glass of Pastis, and you are in Heaven

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Unfortunate events in my life made me explore the dark side

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
Leonardo da vinci
 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:I have been moved by many, but I do not rank them. The latest one I stumbled upon on the net, was a drawing of a
little Afghan girl blowing bubbles and the bubbles morph into a panther, awesome concept and rendering


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 3 horses and approximately 450 Kois. One day I decided to learn how to cook.
So I tried something fancy. Well it did not look so nice, so I gave it to the dogs, and they did not want to eat it.
Accordingly I am scared of showing them my art pieces.


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
"Global Warming: Hokusai Revisited"  is a piece that is in the Footprints & Impacts International Art Exhibition at Dott Art Gallery
www.dottartgallery.com

   
kibazen.com                                  
jlassez@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment