Friday, July 23, 2010

Artist Interview: Joe Kupillas


What is your name:  I’m Joe Kupillas

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I went to The School of Visual Art and got a BFA in fine art.

What is the style of your pieces:
I like to think I have my own style. Which has been influenced by many isms.

What is the medium in which you work: I work with oil, acrylic paint and oil sticks. I also make collages.

What started you on your path as an artist: I was always drawing as a kid. In high school I meet a professional illustrator and for the first time thought of art as a possibility.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:  It gives me moments that are indescribable, mixed with frustration.  

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I don’t really have a favorite genre. I like to look at art and see how other people tackle similar problems.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I show my work whenever I get the opportunity. It’s always strange to see people’s reactions or lack of one for that matter. But for the most part shows are a good time. You hang out with friends and family, meet other artists, have a few drinks, and eat some cheese.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I get paint on everything. So I try to have a few pieces of clothing I don’t paint in.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
I make things in a room alone and it’s hard to find ways of getting the work out of my studio and in front of people.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I’m a fan of the Ruben.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I’m starting to use poems I have written as points of departure for my paintings.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Van Gogh
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Wheat Field With Cypresses by Van Gogh at the MET is one of my favorite paintings to look at.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I don’t have any animals.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Not right now but you can see more of my art on my website www.josephkupillas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment