Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Artist Interview: Birds are Nice



What is your name: Birds are Nice

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I hold a BFA from a state university, but consider myself self taught, as I am doing mostly things I did not learn in school.

What is the style of your pieces: Hard to say. The work is influenced by Robert Rauschenberg, street art and daily life.

What is the medium in which you work: mixed media on cardboard, sculpture and video

What started you on your path as an artist: I have been making art my whole life. I just recently decided to continue anonymously with the Birds are Nice brand. Somehow it allowed me to get everyone out of my head and do what I feel instead of worrying about what everyone else thought.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: independent thinking, sanity and insanity!

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: animation (although I do that too). I appreciate all art. I most admire a great musician/songwriter.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have shown a lot before birds are nice in mostly structured exhibits. I would now like to get my work out on the streets in odd places.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I wish. I ruin everything I wear. I get so wrapped up in making things I forget how messy I really am and end up with paint and plaster on everything I own.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to not be invisible and having enough money and time to make a project the way I see it in my head.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: The big sandwich. Not sure who invented it but it is on one of those Hawaiin round sweet breads with ham, pepperoni, smoked gouda cheese, red peppers, onions, green olives, bib lettuce and beano sandwhich oil. Very tasty.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Everything is different. Birds are nice just officially began and I am screen printing again. I spent the last few years doing mainly digital work, now I am drawing again. Awesome. T-shirts are in production.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Robert Rauschenberg. I could name a few more. (Jenny Holzer, Os Gemeos).

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: That is a hard one. Most recently Miami artist Jonathan Stein did a photographic series about gay bashing. It made me cry when I saw it in person. I like art that evokes strong emotions. Not much art does now a days. I also like funny art-illustrator Noah Z Jones makes some funny characters.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a cat Fiona, and a parrot named Kafka. Miss Fiona helps me make the indoor stuff. She loves to eat the cardboard while I am trying to draw. Kafka participates by blurting out funny things. I am not sure he gets me. : )

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I have two exhibits. The first in August is on the Jupiter, FL campus of Florida Atlantic University. The second opening Sept. 11 is at Calix Gustav Gallery in Miami, FL.
 
http://www.birdsarenice.com   
                  
 infobirdsarenice@gmail.com                   

No comments:

Post a Comment