Thursday, July 29, 2010

Artist Interview: Gerry Stecca




What is your name: Gerry Stecca

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: B.A. in Visual arts from the University of California in San Diego (87)

What is the style of your pieces: A mix of styles blending into my own. Unless it is a commissioned piece or for a projectt/exhibition that calls for specific requirements.

What is the medium in which you work:  Mostly I create sculptural installations with thousands of Wood Clothespins but i have always painted and do occasional murals, etc.

What started you on your path as an artist: Genes... creativity runs in the family. But it was in college that I fuly turned to the arts.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Free time and happiness regardless of the struggle.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Design of objects and buildings.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: This year I had a solo exhibition and 2 group exhibitions in museums as well as being part of group exhibitions in galleries in WA, FL and CA. My work was also represented by a gallery at MIA (Miami International Art Fair).

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: No... weather and degree of mess determines that.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?The inconsistent income.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Any with melted cheese.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Actually my work brought the changes. New exhibiting opps and a few appearances on TV of my work, my studio and self.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Do not have one... I like several.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: The Guernica by Picasso is up there due to its meaning as it relates to my family history.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Adopted a turtle 13 years ago. We have a quiet relationship.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: HGTV's Color Splash will feature me in my studio creating a piece that will be placed in a home for an episode to air this season. Making the piece now. Then I will have a few venues during ART BASEL MIAMI BEACH 2010 but the details are not yet available. March 2011 I will have a solo show in Ft Myers, Fl. 

www.gerrystecca.com
Gstecca@aol.com                

    

No comments:

Post a Comment