Monday, July 26, 2010

Artist Interview: Jane Kenoyer



  What is your name:
Jane Kenoyer
  Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
I am currently in the Bachelor of Fine Arts program at the University Reno Nevada. I will be graduating this December.
  What is the style of your pieces:
Detailed portraits of women inspired by real and imagined histories.
  What is the medium in which you work:
oil on panel
  What started you on your path as an artist:
I have been drawing as long as I can remember. I first discovered a box of oil paints in my mothers closet as an early teen, she said I could have them and my exploration started then.

   What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Art has opened doors to countless opportunities, such as exhibitions, collaborations, travel, and along the way I have formed unforgettable friendships with people involved in the arts.

  What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
I am drawn to the Romantic and Sublime. The paintings of artists such as Caspar David Friedich and Church really draw me in.

  Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
My exhibitions include detailed paintings done in my soft color palette that evokes a sense of memory. The paintings are framed in vintage gilded frames that I find and restore. This is a link to a TV studio interview of my last exhibition.

  Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Jeans and a t-shirt
  What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Running out of time!

  What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
There is a local sandwich shop in Reno called Roses Cafe, they name their sandwiches after famous artists. I like the Frida Kahlo no bacon.

   Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
This year I have been working on a large scale collaboration with other artists. We have been producing a ballet that is based on my paintings coming to life! I wrote the ballet and we have been spending a large amount of time getting it ready to debut this November. The ballet is called “Shanghaied” based on my painting of the girl with the dragon tattoo.
  Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
I am inspired by so many artists. Anges Martin who died in 2004, Mike Sarich who is my painting professor at UNR, Chris Berens, Travis Louie, Femke Hiemstra...
   What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
It belonged to Marie Antoinette it is by a French painter Doyen Gabriel-Francois (1726-1806) called ‘La Peche’ (fishing). It is about 14 feet tall oil on canvas! Breathtaking in person!
  Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
I have a black and white chicken, cluck.
  Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
The ballet is November 18-20th and will be in the Nightingale Hall in Reno. My paintings will be coming to life through the dancers, choreographed by Barbara Land, an original musical score composed by Jean-Paul Perrotte, and 100s of yards of hand painted silk by the costume designer Gini Vogel, along with the help of Maryan Tooker, and Michael Fernbach.

No comments:

Post a Comment