Thursday, July 28, 2011

Herb Baked Chicken With a Garlic Tomato Cream Sauce

For me, nothing says comfort food like a baked chicken.  When I come home from a being away my mother always asks me what I want her to cook.  Yes, I still go to my mothers house all the time.  So I say, baked chicken-- it's my favorite.  I purchased an Enameled dutch oven a while back, and I decided I needed to make baked chicken myself.  To my surprise it was pretty darn easy.  This is a recipe that I concocted and made last night.  It is Super.  And I mean that.  You could probably kill someone with it-- in a good way of course!

1 2 or 3 lb Whole Roasting Chicken ( I buy organic- try to get hormone free if not organic)
2 Tablespoons of butter

I used Fresh Herbs-- buy an herb garden and keep it in your kitchen.  If not use dried.
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 a teaspoon of chopped rosemarry
1/2 teaspoon of sage
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/8 teaspoon of red pepper

1.5 cups of Chicken stock (try and use a good one if you can-- I get kitchen basics)
1/2 an onion sliced
1/4 a pack of cherry tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of fresh garlic

Preheat the oven to 350

Wash your chicken and set aside.  Next mix all your herbs into your butter.  Butter should be room temperature.  Once you have mixed it, put it under the skin of the chicken.  It is easy to do on the breasts because you can pull the skin away from the chicken and stuff the mixture underneath.  On the legs, I cut little holes and shove it in.  You don't need a ton, just little bits around everywhere.  Once you have put the butter mixture in, you can smooth it out from the top to spread it somewhat evenly. Add the chicken broth, onion, tomato, garlic and bake in the oven covered for 1.5 hours or until juices run clear.  You can take the lid off for the last 30 minutes to get a nice brown on top.

Once the chicken has cooked, take it out and put it on the side to rest.  All meat needs to rest a minimum of 5 minutes before you cut it anyway to let the juices re uptake.  Place the dutch oven on the stove and mix blend the liquid with a hand held blender. Be careful not to let the liquid splash you, as it will be hot.  You can also put it in a blender if that is easier for you.  Once the liquid has blended let reduce down about half.  Finish off with 1.4 cup of heavy cream.  If you don't have that you can substitute sour cream or Mexican crema. You can taste the sauce and see if it needs any salt or pepper.  Then you are ready to serve.

Slice your baked chicken and pour on the sauce.  Serve with any side vegetable.  Also goes well with grits, mashed potatoes, wild rice.

Enjoy!
S



No comments:

Post a Comment