Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Artist Interview: Katie Berenson



What is your name:  Katie Berenson

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I am a self taught artist.

What is the style of your pieces: Pop portrait art.

What is the medium in which you work:  I work in mixed media style of acrylic and original photography.

What started you on your path as an artist:  I have been an artist for as long as I can remember, age 2, haha. But I did take a long absence for about 5 years.  One night I woke up from a strange dream and immediately called my best friend.  I explained the imagery in the dream and she told me this was very Dali-like and I had to paint it.  So...I did.  With this experience I somehow rediscovered my love for painting. 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:  Art has brought me a release like nothing else can.  It gives me a chance to show people how I see the world.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:  I am very interested in water color.  I find it to be very difficult and therefore it fascinates me.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  Yes I do have art showings.  I take a lot of time picking the gallery or venue, hiring the right DJ, designing the right lighting etc.... I think these are all just as important as creating the perfect piece of art.  Without the atmosphere the show can be ruined.  I try to create a fun usually bright Neon-like atmosphere.  And of course it is always a great party.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  I always make art in my pajamas.  So usually underwear and a ratty tank top.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The most frustrating part is the promotion and business side of it.  I am more of the creator not the business woman.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Definitely pb&j

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  This year my work has taken a brighter turn.  I've turned everything into a big ball of Neon.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali both for very different reasons.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  Unfortunately I don't have any animals. Although I am dying for puppy...and I'm sure she will love my art.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  I just closed my exhibition NEON UNDERGROUND in Hollywood at Freak City.  I will be heading home to NYC for the summer and hope to exhibit while I am in town.

KATIE BERENSON

1 comment:

  1. I am getting so grumpy in my old age. The DJ and the lighting are as important as the work?

    ReplyDelete