Monday, May 2, 2011

Artist Interview: DeShawn Lamar Dumas



What is your name: DeShawn Lamar Dumas

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I did not start painting until I was 24 but since that time I’ve received my BFA in Fine Art and am currently completing a double major, MFA and MS in Art History at Pratt Institute

What is the style of your pieces: As of now I have two styles, one is a combo of  Brute art,  Abstract expressionism  and Art Povera . The other is a combo of Color -Field and Minimalism

What is the medium in which you work: Oil, coffee grinds, flour, coco, sugar, tar, sand and fabric.

What started you on your path as an artist: : I always got recognition and a sort of popularity from my drawing ability. That positive feedback help build my efficacy in regards to art. My mom always strongly encouraged me to pursue art and was supportive of my curiosity in art

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Art has given me a platform to express the beauty and tragedy of the world. At the same time, it  provides an escape from the world

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Music

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes, they are typically far more casual than I hope for but  on the positive side, me and Ivana Kilibarda (a poet and my girlfriend) always end up at a wonderful restaurant, that is way out of my price range.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
 Yes, I’ve worn the same pants for over  a year now, the shirts I change ever 2 months or so. In undergrad I wore the same pants for 2 years and the same shows. Visually my art clothes might be more provocative than my works.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Getting professional venues to show my work and getting people and press  to show up to those professional venues

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: That's a hard one, chicken Parmesan  or roast beef and Swiss, can't decide.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Yes, I approach the canvas with no preconceived idea of what I am going to do, it is scary but exhilarating. This method of working
gives a immediacy and freshness to the work, that can't be created through reason or conscious thought

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
  Anselm Kiefer

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Rembrandt's Self Portrait.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: No, but if I did they would love it, i hope?

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
No, but soon i will

deshawnlamardumas.com
deshawnlamar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment