Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Artist Interview: Adriana Carvalho



What is your name: My name is Adriana Carvalho

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I do have a formal education in Fine Art and a technical training in a Mechanics' Institute.

What is the style of your pieces:  Mainly figurative.

What is the medium in which you work: Metal sculptures

What started you on your path as an artist: Being a creative person, I have a passion from circumstances in daily life and a challenge in accent cultural mores .

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Education because in my work I often depict stories of mythology and related topics, as well problem solving. The idea is just the beginning when starting an art work, I must research materials and learn new techniques.  And in much of my work I invoke humor, so I've nurtured a refined sense of humor.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I appreciate drawings because I have always struggled in that area, and I feel drawings are the foundation of art.  I marvel at the ability to represent a subject with simple contours.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I exhibit often. Recently my work participated in an exhibit with the Federick R. Weisman Foundation In L.A.
As well a 3 artists show that I also organized in Kirk Hopper Fine Art, Dallas. I've shown in several international art fairs as Scope, ArtMiami, ArtBrussels and Arco- Madrid.


Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I do not create clothes. I create sculpture that resembles garments as a metaphor; depicting characters in life with certain vulnerability.
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Having to dedicate myself to the business end of the art.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Well,  I am not a starving artist... so I enjoy an Italian hard salami with Swiss cheese on a french Baguette with a touch of  Dijon mustard.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: My process of working  is constantly transforming and inspirational. I do the best with the treasures that everyday life offers me. As an example, one day I was walking in the neighborhood and found discarded rain gutters from a construction site. Not sure what do with it I liked the material so I grabbed all that I could. A month later I made an enormous sculpture with it. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I love the simplicity, colors and joy of Henry Matisse and the raw, down to earth quality of Julio Gonzalez sculptures. In contemporary art I like Jeff  Koons  because of his technique, humor and his audacious approach in creating art.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:  In Spain I was floored by the Francisco Goya's Black Paintings. It was one of the last works that he painted on the walls of his cabin.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  Yes, I have many stuffed animals that are always mocking me!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Scope Art Show,  ArtBastard/MiamiBeach

Web address  www.amcarvalho.com     
                  
email   amcarvalho@mac.com                  

No comments:

Post a Comment