Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Artist Interview: Thomas Witte



What is your name: Thomas Witte

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I majored in Art at Rutgers University.  I was not in the BFA program so I was able to take only the classes that interested me.  I was also given a studio, where I spent most of my time diligently producing work.

What is the style of your pieces: Realistic

What is the medium in which you work: Spray paint, cut paper stencils and glass

What started you on your path as an artist:  I have always been interested in making art.  I have a lot of artists in my family and I guess being surrounded by creativity my whole life really rubbed off

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: knowing what it feels like to have my passion be my job.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: sculpture

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: yes, lots of friends and hopefully a lot of people I have never met before and wine.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  overalls in winter.  Shorts in the summer…..Crocs.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Having to use some of the time that I would be in my studio, out trying to sell the work I am making.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  rotisserie chicken, cheddar cheese lettuce, tomato, avacado and mustard on a fresh baguette.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  I have recently acquired some steel framed glass warehouse windows that I am in love with, and the images I have been printing on them are some of my favorite pieces I have ever made.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Christopher Wilmart.  Wilmarth worked in glass and steel and I have never seen work that I can get lost in like his.  It is overwhelming to me how beautiful and perfect his work is.   

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: one for sure was a show not a single piece of artwork.  Richard Serra’s Torqued Spirals at The Gagosian Gallery in NYC 2003.  These sculptures literally move your body as you walk around them, it was an incredible experience.


                 
 Thomaswitteart@gmail.com                  

No comments:

Post a Comment