Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Artist Interview: Joey Seeman



What is your name:
Joey Seeman

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:

I'm mostly self-taught

What is the style of your pieces:
I consider them to be both Pop and Contemporary

What is the medium in which you work:
I use acrylics and ink on wood panels

What started you on your path as an artist:
I've been creating art since I was in 7th grade, but my style really gelled around 1992 when I moved to South Beach and was exposed to some of the artists working there.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Art has given me a purpose and direction. It keeps me off the streets!

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Right now I'd have to say that artist working on vinyl toys and figures are my favorite.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I've had 4 shows this year! My shows are typically a mix of interesting looking people, curiosity seekers and snooty art-types.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Not really, no.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
I think what frustrates me most is that Dallas doesn't truly embrace it's own art scene. Look at the Dallas Observer for example; there's no gallery listings or support of the arts at all in their pages anymore. There's a good number of talented artists working here, but very little coverage of their exhibits. (We will cover any event you want us too-- and we list calls to artists every day -- check the right side of the page)

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
Rueben from Wolf's Deli, NYC.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
I've refined my style and produced a lot more than usual this year. I think I've finally hit my groove.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
I'll take one of each. Michael Hussar is my favorite living painter. For the non-living, I'd have to pick Tomata du Plenty who was my early mentor, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be doing this.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Anselm Kieffer at the Modern in Fort Worth.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
Nope.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
This Friday, July 2nd in Austin, TX at Rio Rita's I'll be debuting my Cholas Por Vida series. And my Rock n' Roll Fantasy show will be on view at Dear Clark Studios on McKinney through September 9th.


No comments:

Post a Comment