Monday, June 28, 2010

Artist Interview: Brett Dyer

 
 Thinking of You, 2008, Acrylic on canvas, 5'x6'
 
Artist Interview Brett Lee Dyer Q & A
 
 
What is your name: Brett Lee Dyer
 
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: M.F.A. Painting & Intermedia Arts, B.F.A. Painting & Printmaking
 
What is the style of your pieces: my own style with a flare for abstract expressionist processes
 
What is the medium in which you work: acrylic, encaustic, collage and printmaking
 
What started you on your path as an artist: As far back as I can remember, I have always been on the path.  I have however had several instructors that have helped me stay on the path and push me forward.
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: An outlet for therapy.
 
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I think art serves so many different purposes or functions, and they are all equally important and valid.  However, I am amazed by nonrepresentational art and how it can express so much without the aid of imagery or text.
 
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: My personal goal is to participate in at least 10 exhibitions per year being group or solo showings.  Since 2005 when I received my masters degree, I have been able to successfully surpass that each year.  Working as a professor, I find several venues and make many connections.  I am also part of two artists groups.  In the groups we work as a team finding exhibitions and showing work together.  I am very bad about seeking out and marketing my work.  It is hard to do when your work is so personal.  I think inside I just want my work to be discovered, or I need an agent...lol
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I have a few pairs of jeans, shorts and t-shirts that I try to change into when I work, but sometimes when I am inspired I think I won't get messy, and I usually end up having to strip down to boxers and my undershirt in fear of that inspiration or idea passing or me ruining my clothes.
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist: time and supplies-I like to work over long periods of time and not a little bit each day.  Sometimes I have to stay up all night to have that time.  Often when I am inspired, I do not feel like making a canvas or panel, I just want to paint.  So many of my works are not so "gallery" ready since they are on unstretched canvas or unframed panels.
 
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I freaking love sandwiches...one of my many favorites would be a B.L.T.
 
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Well, I just moved and was promoted to a full time professor, so I have a larger studio space, yet I am having to adjust to my course load and managing my studio time.  I also have started to work in encaustic medium, and do not have my studio set up for it, so I travel to a friend's studio to work in wax when I want to.
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: This is such a hard question!  I would have to say Kahlo-Basquiat-Rauschenberg...is a super-powered cloned artist.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Rauschenberg's Bed
 
Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a mini-zoo: two Chihuahuas (Mae and Cici), a not so toy fox terrier (Ty), two black cats (Shadow and Twilight) and a Beta fish (Diablito).  The cats like to scratch and are unaware of art, the fish is indifferent, but my dogs do stare at it from time to time.  My dog Mae likes to sit in my lap while I paint, and Ty lifts his leg to some of my works.  He is the best critic.
 
Do you have any up coming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I have three group exhibitions coming up: One next month in Houston at the M² Gallery entitled Degrees, one in July called Meltdown at the Art Hotel in Dallas, and one in the fall in Arlington at Tarrant County College Southeast Campus.
 

Eat My Heart Out -Solo Exhibition- Arlington, TX  Fall 2008
 
If you are an artist or gallery and would like to participate in an interview please email me atsivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment