Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Artist Interview: Nic Noblique


What is your name: Nic Noblique

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I went to art school and fortunately they kicked me out. I went on to study pliable materials engineering and eventually taught myself how to weld and work with steel and have engineered and built my own fabrication equipment.

What is the style of your pieces:
Abstract

What is the medium in which you work:
steel, stainless steel

What started you on your path as an artist:
I think in some way or another I've always been on this path but I got to show my pottery at the Miluakee Museam of Art when I was 8 and that experience stuck with me. Although I went on to owning three retail skate and snow shops and then a ramp building company, I got bored and tired of the daily grind of running a business. I left all that behind and moved to west texas where I picked up a welder and I've not stopped since. That was in 2000.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Freedom.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
I love all things modern and abstract.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I do show my art with galleries. My solo shows are colorful, large sculptures towering throughout the gallery, with my large paintings as the back drop. Open Bar. Art Lovers, and good music.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Yes. I go to my studio in my everyday clothes and then I even wear them out to dinner later that night, all covered in paint and metal dust.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Being a sculptor, the equipment and tools can be very expensive and that was very frustraing for me when I got started. Eventually I built my own rolling machines and equipment but I think all artists can understand the frustration of not having what you need to create your vision.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
I don't know.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
My work is always changing. I'm always thinking of something new. I'm always onto the next idea. This year I like sparkle orange and candy teal powdercoatings.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
picasso

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: the most moved I've ever been when viewing art was when I was 10 and I was living in France with my parents. We were living in an apartment in Antibes France and I went to a Picasso sculpture garden at a church there, a block away from the apartment. I sat there all day in the garden and kept going back, just to sit and imagine. Blown away.


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Three dogs. They hate it when my work takes me on the road and they can't come.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
I have several things going on right now. Sculptors Dominion in San Antonio is showing three of my sculptures with this years invitational, I have new work at the Benini Sculpture Ranch in Johnson City, TX, and I just delivered new work to Pippin & Meikle Fine Art - my Santa Fe representation.


www.nobliquestudios.com

info@nobliquestudios.com

If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment