Friday, June 25, 2010

Artist Interview: Scott Damschroder

What is your name:
Scott Damschroder; Big Ransom Studio

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
BA of Fine Arts; In process, DePaul University, Chicago; All techniques and inspiration self-taught

What is the style of your pieces:
Industrial, blocky, and Hands-On functional artwork

What is the medium in which you work:
Multi-media, however, carved wood, casting, block printing, and canvas painting - mostly mixed methods to achieve a single piece.


What started you on your path as an artist:
I was always a creator and have individual work from high school up through the years, but a change in careers due to medical limitations forced me to really focus on my art just to keep my mind busy. After that, I've been a serial creator since.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
Enjoyment. I love what I make, and find people who love it too. I totally enjoy life when I know that my work has a positive impact on the lives of others. My work is made to use, touch, feel, and enjoy.


What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Music. I love music and totally respect musicians work and effort. I think we see things the same in that a musician creates for the enjoyment of others (listening to their work), and I do the same. I love people to experience and enjoy my work each and every day. Touch it, feel the paper and textures, experience the beautiful touch sensation of hand-made paper, or a block printed canvas - enjoy it and let it make you happy.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
No, not yet anyway. I had a booth at the local Christmas market on the Georgetown square last year and it was freezing. Hardly anyone showed up and we were frozen to the bone. It was great, fun, and horrible all at once. I haven't really tried to get into the gallery program. I like people to discover my work and word will spread from one person to another. People who love my work telling other people about it is really what I'm about. I'm good with that.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
Shorts. All year round - cold or hot. A t-shirt in the summer and a sweatshirt in the winter. If it's outrageously cold, a jacket with my shorts. Flip-flops all year. My leather Crocs rock. I'm a freak, I know.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Focusing on one idea or genre. I have a wide range of interests and constantly like to do new things. I love different, so I often change what I'm doing.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
At J&B's Tavern in Des Moines Iowa they make an Italian sausage sandwich that is too awesome for words. It was huge with peppers and real fresh made Italian sausage. I don't know if they are still there, but kudos on that sandwich J&B, you live in my heart!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
I've been doing much more canvas block printing and painting, in series that are topic related. I have a classic game series coming out. A city series, and Bad Ass Cubes (a quick, down and dirty block print design that just rocks). Who knew I could paint? It's so fun to find out you have talents you didn't even know were there.


Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
Lisa Fittipaldi. We should all have that inner strength and the vision that she has. Amazing.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
 "Jars" by Lisa Fittipaldi. I was buying a piece at Gallery SOCO in Austin (Georgetown's right above Austin), and Jason (Gallery SOCO's owner) was showing me some additional work and we got to Jars. Jason explained about Lisa's work and I was amazed. Then I say painting's done my her that are truly incredible, but I'll never forget Jars. I love that piece of work and it speaks volumes to me about what we can do - if we want to.


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
Jack Jack, our Norwich Terrier was employed as office security. He maintains distinct control of my studio areas and painting room. He takes no position on my work, as he values his current position. He's very political, so he would say he loved it if driven to an answer. LOL.


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
Nope. The galleries don't even know I'm here!

http://www.bigransom.com
Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaizendesignllc/
scottd@bigransom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment