Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Artist Interview: Jeanette Curry



What is your name: Jeanette Curry

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I attended Eastfield College in Mesquite, Texas to learn photography, it was in the advanced classes that I was shown the art of handcoloring black and white photographs. After that it was self taught, I began to experiment with different papers, and techniques.


What is the style of your pieces: I have two series, "Walk with Me" and "A Brush with the Past." "Walk with Me" is places someone might like to walk together, such as stepping stones, bridges, pathways. "A Brush with the Past" is the more rustic ones that are usually antiques, or settings from the past.

What is the medium in which you work: Black and white
photography, oil, pencils, then I have it digitally enhanced and printed onto canvas, and then I handcolor more as needed.

What started you on your path as an artist: When my son got married about 13 years ago the photographer messed up the pictures (no head on the bride, flash didn't work, etc.) My photos saved the day.  I decided to go to college to learn photography.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: It has brought me closer to my husband because he is so supportive of what I do, we travel together in search of the perfect pictures.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I love making things from found objects, and also Altered Art and collages.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes, I have had several, I usually show for one month. I will usually have either an opening reception, or sometimes a closing one, or both.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I wear whatever is comfortable, usually a stained tee shirt and shorts.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Marketing

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: BBQ

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: yes, finally I have a website www.rusticbrushcollection.com. I also have made use of FB with a page called rustic brush collection, and rustic brush.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Frida Kahlo

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: several at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in N.Y.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: sorry, I don't have any.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Yes, I will be showing this August at the Renner Frankford Library for the entire month. I don't have a firm date for a reception yet. (I should have that next week).

No comments:

Post a Comment