Monday, June 21, 2010

Artist Interview: Jake Remington


What is your name: Jake Remington

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: BFA from university of Colorado at boulder.

What is the style of your pieces: Junk and fume

What is the medium in which you work: I use found objects (courtesy streets of Brooklyn) as substrates and finish with spraypaint, acrylic, oil often times using spackle or whatever else I have on hand to add texture.

What started you on your path as an artist: I always gravitated towards people who created art and it seemed natural. Experiences through drugs or otherwise pushed me forward and made art a neccessity in my life to express ideas that build up inside of me.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Meaning

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Probably film.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I do. Each one seems to be a bit different and they're progressing in a good way as far as the level of work involved. Usually drinks, music and conversation take hold of the night.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: No all my clothes are covered in paint.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Just getting the work out there. The gallery system is pretty silly. I'd rather just exhibit on the sidewalk. Which i've been looking into recently. Alot of the shows I'm in take place in alternative spaces.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Sandwich shops Dafontes and Ferdinandos in NYC are top-notch. And cheese hoagies from Davannis in Minneapolis.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: It's getting more refined. stronger. I'm exhibiting alot more as well.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Jeremy Fish and David choe are up there for living artists. Really most of the people featured on fecalface.com are very inspiring. San fran has a sick scene right now. Dead? Probably Francis Bacon, basquiat, Thomas Jefferson.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: I saw Dali's metamorphosis of narcissus at the Tate modern when I was a kid under the influence of LSD and there was a tour group in front of it talking about it. Breaking down all of meaning and symbolism. That had a profound effect on me.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Uh no animals. But they love my work.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Soapstone gallery in NYC on June 22nd. I'm part of the 2010 Bronx Latin American art biennial which I think will be in September. And im in a show curated by St. Nicks Alliance that celebrates North Brooklyn in July.

www.Junkandfume.com
jr@junkandfume.com

No comments:

Post a Comment