Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Artist Interview: Joy Mckinney


What is your name:  Joy Mckinney

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
 I went to art school for photography, at The Atlanta College of Art. 

What is the style of your pieces: I try to tell a story with my work. I enjoy letting the subject explore their surrounding environment, it creates a sense of spontaneity that I enjoy. 

What is the medium in which you work: Photography

What started you on your path as an artist:

 My mother bought me my first camera in high school. I started photographing my friends, and enjoyed it very much. My passion for photography grew while in art school.I begin to express and conceptualize my ideas through many different photographic processes.


What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
  My art is my safe place. I don't have to be judged. I can be who I really am through my work.  

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:

  I am really drawn to all art genres. If I had to choose I would go with Modern Art.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
 I have had shows in college, and they were alot of fun. I enjoy showing my work with other people, it creates a great venue for others to collaborate on ideas, and get inspired.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:
  Jeans and a t-shirt... and my magical Revo sunglasses.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
Dealing with the critic in my head. She can be overpowering at times..but I have learned to push through it, and keep focused on what I am trying to create.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
 PBJ.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
  This year has been all about changes. I was making work that I was not happy with... I deleted everything and re-built my mind's eye. It has been the most rewarding experience to start fresh with new ideas.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:
 Elizabeth Fraser-Cocteau Twins
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
 Notre Dame- Paris, France

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:
 I have two cats.. I think they know I'm a bit obsessive.
 
    
www.jmckinneyphoto.com
                  
amourphoto@gmail.com               

No comments:

Post a Comment