Monday, August 22, 2011

Artist Interview: Ananya Majumder








What is your name: Ananya Majumder

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am a self taught artist. 

What is the style of your pieces:I am specialized in abstract and landscape art. I see art in everything; my paintings are about nature, universe, people and our lives. I have travelled extensively in Canada, USA,  Europe and in India to find my own style of expressing colors in to life. My work influences those cultures and backgrounds to a great extent. 

What is the medium in which you work: I use oil paint and acrylic for my paintings on canvas.

What started you on your path as an artist: I do not know where the urge came from, but I enjoy playing with colours and I like expressing my feeling and my thoughts through art.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: I feel happy when I paint and I feel happier when I see my little boy sitting right next to me and painting with me.  When I paint I live in my world of thoughts and I try to bring out my expressions through the colours.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I love beautiful portraits, and sculptures.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have had a few arts showing in my near past and they were all successful. The viewership ranged from 100 people to 500 people at my exhibitions.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I try to wear earthy colours such as gray, brown, light greens, blue...and comfortable mainly cotton clothes when I paint. This makes me feel free in my mind and helps me concentrate in my art work. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Sometimes when I want to draw what I have seen in my dreams, it takes a very different shape when I actually put that thought/ image on my canvas. But I still strive hard to make it as perfect as possible.  I think it is a good thing as this has given me the ability to improve my art as a whole.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I do not like sandwiches. But given a choice I may go for a chicken or a egg sandwich.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I had two very successful art shows. And many more to come.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Claude Monet's art inspires me to draw landscapes and MF Hussain from India. I think his arts are very vibrant and bold in its nature. 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Mother Teresa - Oil on Canvas by MF Hussain

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have a cat. She likes it when I sit and paint. She sits next to my feet and watches me paint. I think she has also become very fond of art. She never steps on my art work when I lay them on floor to dry.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I have one at the Northwood Community Centre on the 11th of September. The name of the exhibition will be “Vibrant colours of summer”.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment