Monday, July 19, 2010

Artist Intervew: Lissarette Vasquez


 

What is your name:  Lissarette Vasquez

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I learned by myself, however my mother sent me to schools in my country.

What is the style of your pieces: I'm an impressionist, but I guess I get myself carried away in my own style which its a mix of that and something that doesn't have name yet.

What is the medium in which you work: Anything, but mostly Oils.

What started you on your path as an artist: I guess as soon as I was conscious on earth I started doodling in papers, and then when I was four I did a portrait of my mother, she was at the time dating the owner of a gallery and he told her I had talent.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Joy, freedom and the language that my soul needs to express itself.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I enjoy Fantastic art a lot, I'm a huge fan of comic books and manga (Japanese comic books).

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  I've had the opportunity in new york city just once, and it was a lot of artist together, It was like a great mix of styles.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  This is a problem *smiles* since inspiration strikes me without notice I start painting in anything I'm wearing, most of my clothes are stained.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to put myself out there.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: My favorite sandwich? I'm Dominican, we are not huge fans of bread, but I love avocado and onions, that was Saturday dinner back home.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I've improved, I dared to try new things, I dares to change some others, and my style is taking shape finally.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: That's a hard one, but I must say I'm in love with Gustav Klimt work, and Alphonse Mucha.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: When I saw Giovanni Batista Tiepolo on the MET I couldn't stop crying, it was the most amazing sensation I've ever felt. his work was just superb!

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: *chuckles* I do not, I want a pet so bad, but I have a 6 year old roommate who is my best critic, she even has one of my paintings hanged in her room.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Not yet, but if I get one any time soon I'll make sure to let you know.
 
lissarette@hotmail.com                 

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I'm following.

    And on the sandwich front, come to my blog and enter to win a $40.00 Gift Card from CSNStores.com. The odds are great since under 100 entries is usually about all I get on my blog. If you do, hope you win. Thanks, Keri

    ReplyDelete