Monday, July 12, 2010

Artist Interview: Jodie Atherton


 
What is your name: 
Jodie Atherton
 
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
BA from the University of Wyoming, art major, ceramics minor, workshops, and a whole slew of self taught techniques as needed for a project

What is the style of your pieces:
figurative sculpture, mosaic sculpture and custom tiles
 
What is the medium in which you work: 
ceramics: glazed, pit fired, mosaic and mixed media

What started you on your path as an artist: 
making mud pies and baking them in the sun in the driveway as a little girl, adding small sticks and flower petals as decorations
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
a way to communicate a cognitive release of my thoughts and emotions w/o struggling for words, a visual description of how my soul thinks and feels~
 
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
it depends on the day and what i'm seeing in my own work, as well as what i run across... sometimes that veers me off in a new direction for awhile... but, most recently, book arts, photography and environmental sculpture
 
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 
off and on locally in the past, most recently, a big road trip to chicago for the one-of-a-kind show and sale,  i still get nervous... :), i'm typically quite shy, so it's a bit hard for me to get out and "sell" something so personal to me~ but, i'm getting better and excited about upcoming events too! 
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
my pj's.... or something just as comfy, and an apron to wipe my hands on~ in the summer, add my chaco sandals, in the winter, slippers and a wool hat. i love working at home!
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
living in a conservative, rural setting where no one "gets" me, but loving the access to rivers and mountains and what they do for me, enough that i've never moved away...

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
roasted farmers market veggies w/ balsamic vinegar, apple slices and cheese on fresh sourdough bread... mmm, i'm hungry now!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
I'm working much more sculpturally, my work has always had that 'bent' to it, but it's really starting to shine through everywhere now, it feels great to have found my artistic voice, and that it's ready to share with the world what i have to say~
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 
just one? my mom, a quilter, my husband, kirk vandyke, a writer and an artist, and all my friends who are artists. i think because i know and love these people, their work has the strongest influence on me as i know the individual story behind the artwork~ and the ones i don't know personally, andy goldsworthy, monet, patrick dougherty, 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
as a young child, i guess i stood in front of a painting for ages in the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY and stared at a painting of a man being gored by a buffalo... perhaps that's why i can't stand violence now....seeing original artwork in museums that i studied in my art history classses, and someday, i hope to be moved in person by Machu Picchu

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
none right now, but my cat used to sit on my lap with his paws on one of my arms whenever i was on the computer~ guess he wanted to help!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
Tate Geological Museum, December 2010, Casper, WY. I will be exhibiting some of my Dinosaur Mosaics during their annual open house. It's a great museum, hope to meet you there! more in the works too, so stay posted on my website~

Web address:
                  
email:

No comments:

Post a Comment