Monday, July 19, 2010

Artist Intervew: RACHEL BLACK

 

What is your name: RACHEL BLACK
  
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  SELF TAUGHT

What is the style of your pieces: DARKER SIDE OF THINGS WITH A SINSTER FEEL

What started you on your path as an artist: MY FATHER

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: It allows me to explore places and to show the world what use to be esp in my abandoned work!! I love the photojournalism aspect in the places I explore. It also allows me to channel my emotions and feelings in the work i do.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: URBAN ARTISTS

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: YES, I have several of my lines in several galleries for sale, however they are out of state. I do a local show at the performing art center here in chicago, and what I love more about it is hanging around my work and hearing what people are saying about the image, really is amazing to hear the things people say and feel while viewing my work.
 
 Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: YES always black!!! ;) I do some exploring in some really filthy places so I always wear my fav boots all weather, and usually my fav bands t- shirts and hoodies!! also have to have a certain hat!!!
  
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Being misunderstood and judged about the subjects I choose.   

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Tukey Tom from Jimmy Johns

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Yes I became very ill this year and well my health is holding me back at the moment. I feel so lost not out and about shooting. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Ansel Adams

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: The Bean in Millennium Park Chicago 

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: yes I have a Kitty and her name is Bella!! well she loves what I do and always sits with me while i edit my work.... 

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: YES, several are in the works and not confirmed at the moment. I am currently showing at :
    Star Dog Gallery in Iowa and Artfuel Inc Gallery in North Carolina
    Iam enrolled and waiting on 3 more Exhibits.

                  
nikongirl7@gmail.com                 

3 comments:

  1. Awsome interview with an awsome artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that this particular artist is on the verge of being world famous! She is unique & has a strong & keen eye for the forgotten & abandoned!
    Her pictures are pieces of time w/ an urban feel...pieces of Rachel! She is utterly sublime & completely talented in her artistry!
    Exellent interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pleasure having gotten to know you Rach. Always an inspiration. I can't tell you how much I love your work. I can spend hours just on your page looking at the detail and wondering how you did that...haha. Much love from Cali...

    ReplyDelete