Thursday, July 29, 2010

Artist Interview: Cate Yeonjae Song

1.jpg (image)[1.jpg]
What is your name:
Cate Yeonjae Song

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:
2009 B.F.A inPainting, Ewha WomansUniversity, Seoul, Korea

2009 I Dropped out of M.F.A in Painting, The Graduate school at Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea
What is the style of your pieces: 
Expression shows Surrealism, but theme shows realism.

What is the medium in which you work: 
Oil on canvas

What started you on your path as an artist:
Hard to say one specific thing. I feel alive when I do an artistic thing.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
Communication! I speak with a lot of people who look at my paintings.
I'd like to show through mypaintings that actually many people has similar internal psychologicalconflicts which is accumulated by so many factors. I hope people get some sortof comforts or change in their life as understanding together rather than beingisolated emotionally. And, I also hope people think of something that they cantalk about their life communicating with my paintings because I am moreinterested in people’s life which is exposed to externalor social factors rather than these factors. I think we acutely need thoseprocedures for our life as I've experienced it.


What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
Expressionism, surrealism

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 
I had 3 Solo Exhibitions, and over 20 Group Exhibitions. They typically like that they can share genuine feeling when they talk about the theme of my painting.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
A big white apron. Actually it was made by GODIVA for making chocolate though.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
 
Irregular income and working alone.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
Any kind of sandwich would be fine if it is with fresh vegetables.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
 
Currently I have 2 terms of artworks having differentstatements and style, but they are basically connected with one theme "Care about each other."

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 
Francis Bacon

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: 
So many pieces of artwork inspire me.  It's hard to pick one.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
I don't have right now. I'm planning to have them!!! love them!!  I'm sure they won't be interested in my art, but I love them!!

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:
I'll have 4th solo exhibition in October in South Korea.



www.cateyeonjaesong.com
cateyeonjae@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment