Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Artist Interview: Dan Deming


 
 
What is your name: Dan Deming
 
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  Not really ! I went to Art School Philadelphia Col of Art   back in 1964 for one semester then hit the road. Thats when I started learning  about Art. To me I just went into a bigger School , life. 
 
What is the style of your pieces:  I usually just say " mine " and if pressed I say Abstract. But all Art is Abstract  can't be anything else. My little joke. 

What is the medium in which you work:  What ever I can afford to get my hands on. Right now Oil and Acrylic on canvas. But I have done Water color and thousands of Oil Pastels , one was 6.5 ' x 60' . My favorite was fired Glass on Ceramic tiles. I made huge Murals out of that and want to get back into it as soon as I can.
 
What started you on your path as an artist: I often wonder about this. I knew I wanted to make Art since at least 5 years old. 
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Life itself. When I left Art School back in 1964 I spent the next year hitching across the USA 10 times . I loved it. Then I slowed down and got jobs for a few months then Hitched to the next place. I did that for about 20 years before I was ready to set up my own studio and make my Art. 
 
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Like Duke Elington  if you like it it has to be good. There always is at least one or two guys that make a genre good or it wouldn't be good. 
 
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have had so many I can't tell you the number. I like the ones where everyone talks louder and louder talking about the Art. I don't like the ones where everyone only talks only to each other about their stuff and never even look at the Art. 
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Some times. Back in Baltimore I lived in my Studio and painted at 2 or 3 AM and cloths were not an issue.
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Finding people to show it to. Some people have taken over 6 months to come to my Studio. But they never were the same after. I have opened people up to a new world for them.  Most guys really don't realize the possibilities Art  can open up for them. 
 
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Two Thin Sliced Beef or Turkey on Rye with Cole Slaw and Thousand Island , Even better if the meat is grilled before put in sandwich. The other I fell into in Art School . I sort of evolved it.  Hamburger on English Muffin soaked in butter with Grape jelly and yellow Mustard. Sweet and sower. Try it it will knock your socks off. 
 
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: This year has brought in Internet. Over the years I had lost all my Art friends, it happened so slowly I didn't notice. Now I'm finding every one and many more , to me this also is life. 
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I love any Artist alive or dead but Pollock, Rothko and Cy Twombly are at the top .

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: My dog Ivy a Jack Russell. One of the toughest smartest dogs I have ever known. She talked to me one day and gave me a look like why did you make me do that I'm a dog. 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: All these guys have done work that has hit me hard. But the 1st one to do this and actually set me on my road was a Painting by Van Gogh of a Baby. It stopped me Dead in my tracks. The look on that babies face and the way it had its hands, was like it was worried about the new life ahead of it.
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good interview with Dan Deming. Dan's work should be out there and owned by many people to enjoy it. His art has a great deal of life to it, so much so, that any location one of his works is in would bring up the spirit of the viewer and add life to that space. They emanate life and energy and you can feel it.

    ReplyDelete