Tuesday, March 22, 2011

“Visual Soup: Adventures in Screen Printing by Adam Palmer, opens with an Artist’s Reception on Saturday, April 23, 2011 from 6-8pm. Norwood Flynn Dallas Texas


"Boca Raton 1983," 2010, Screen Print on paper, Ed. of 4, by Adam Palmer

The Gallery is pleased to feature the work of Adam Palmer in his first show here.  Adam, a printmaker, has decided to make the imagery for this newer work to be less recognizable than in past pieces he has made.  They are, however, not less complex and stunning in their depth and intensity. He compares his work to soup, because he wants every visual ingredient to work by itself, but also compliment the other ingredients as well as the whole piece.  The show continues through May 7, 2011.

All shows are free and open to the public.  The public may call 214-351-3318 or visit www.norwoodflynngallery.com for information.

Adam Palmer- Artist Statement:

In my latest pieces I have tried to create a visual soup of everything that I like. The reason I compare my work to soup is because I want every visual ingredient to work by itself but also compliment the other ingredients as well as the whole piece. I decided to make the imagery I use in these newer works to be less recognizable. The reason for this is I want my influences to be less obvious. My past work really showed what my influences were and was maybe too easy for the viewer to dissect. It has been a real rewarding change for me to do this newer style. I can now create pieces that are more a reflection of myself, rather than an imitation of my influences. Now my work can have the colors of my favorite candies, the compositions of my favorite Japanese woodblock prints and the rhythms of my favorite songs. The reason I have chosen screen printing as my main medium is because I can never predict one hundred percent what the piece is going to look like in the end. Since certain colors react differently on top of other colors it often takes me on a different path than I had anticipated. That is why I never plan what the final piece is going to look like. I just try to get into a nice printing rhythm and really trust my instincts while I am working. It has been a very challenging and rewarding way of creating my artwork. 

Adam Palmer received his Masters of Art in Printmaking at the University of
North Texas, Denton in 2009.  He was featured in the “New Texas Talent” show at Craighead-Green Gallery, Dallas, Texas in 2010.

About Norwood Flynn Gallery
Norwood Flynn Gallery, housed in a 1940's cottage on the south shore of Bachman Lake, represents contemporary art by emerging and mid career artists.  The gallery exhibits and sells paintings, sculptures, drawings, photography, & new media, with an emphasis on unique Texas artists.

         Gallery Information:
         Norwood Flynn Gallery - Sue Flynn, Owner
         3318 Shorecrest 
         Dallas, Texas  75235
        
         214-351-3318

         Gallery Hours:
Wednesday through Saturday: Noon - 5:00 p.m. And by appointment



1 comment:

  1. Great thanks to sharing....
    Recycled Paper Printing can also be used in order to overcome the difficulties as paper is manufactured from the bamboo plant and hence the plant has to be cut off.
    Recycled Paper Printing

    ReplyDelete