Monday, March 7, 2011

Artist Interview: Kelly Rae Burns



What is your name: Kelly Rae Burns

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: yes I do have a formal education, Bachelors at University of Texas at Austin, Drawing and Painting

What is the style of your pieces:  I have been told that my work is illustrative but if that is true, the narratives are whispers.

What is the medium in which you work: gouache and graphite.  Paper is also very important to me, 140lb+ watercolour paper has an amazing tactility.


What started you on your path as an artist: It is for a variety of reasons but the main reason is to understand my own spirituality and relationship to this world. 
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:
knowledge and a view into new cultures, through art we can connect.

 
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I think installation artwork can be really amazing, such as Ernesto Neato or Yayoi Kusama.
 
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I keep my work pretty secretive.

 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Since I usually work in the morning I really love to wear my pajamas while drinking my french-press coffee.
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? There are so many things that can be frustrating, as nothing is set in stone.  Art careers have a overall ambiguity.
 
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Veggie Sandwich from Wheatsville Co-op in Austin, TX.  They slather it with a homemade olive hummus and put on all sorts of veggies.
 
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I have started larger works while at a residency in the northeast.  Also, I'm keen to work sculpturally in ceramics.
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: I have several that pop into my head automatically, Kiki Smith, Del Kathryn Barton and Henry Darger. 
 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: As I run through the list of things I've seen several pieces jump out at me inclusive of, La Belle Hollandaise by Pablo Picasso.  I am not usually partial to his work but this one really touched me.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: We have a dog, Francis Bacon.  He isn't named after the artist but rather the scientist who created the scientific method.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: not at present, I update my blog regularly, http://kellyraeburns.blogspot.com/

 
email: kellyraeburns@gmail.com               

No comments:

Post a Comment