Sunday, May 30, 2010

Artist Interview: Jacqueline Chubirka

"sleeps with the fishes" 30x30, oil on canvas

What is your name: Jacqueline Chubirka

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am currently working on my BFA at The Academy of Art University. My experience prior to that is mostly self taught and learned in the trenches of commercial illustration and advertising design.

What is the style of your pieces: I work in a style I would call contemporary realism. Some paintings verge on photorealism but I would not categorize my work to be photorealistic. I feel my commercial background influences my aesthetic, adding graphic style nuances in composition and paint application.

What is the medium in which you work: I work in both acrylics and oils. I choose the medium I think will best accomplish the desired effect I want to achieve. Each medium has its unique qualities, each offers a different way of working.

What started you on your path as an artist: I was always interesting in doing something creative whether it was building a model with my dad or playing the flute in junior high. Then, as a freshman in high school I took an art class and realized that creating art was something I felt good about.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: A sense of reason and purpose. It means doing something important with my life. It's what I am meant to do.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Surrealism.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes. I would say my shows have all been very different depending on the venue. It's always interesting to meet other artists and art collectors. I enjoy having an opportunity to discuss art and to hear peoples thoughts about the work.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Whatever was on the floor from the night before.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Any momentary frustration, I might encounter, is overcome by the realization that I am doing what I love to do.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: BLT on toasted bread with avocado and Pepper Jack cheese. With a pickle spear on the side.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I feel my work is always changing. Sometime subtly and sometimes more obvious. My focus is on producing strong bodies of work.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: To name a few, Edward Hopper, Wayne Theibaud, Mark Ryden, Joe Sorren (I LOVE his painting "Portrait of Roger Meanie"!)

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Anytime I have the opportunity to see works in person it is memorable. I love to see how the work is crafted and that is just not possible with a reproduction.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: a cat , Louie and an amazon parrot, Joey. They really don't think of my art, they just think "pet me", "feed me", "pet me".

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I am currently showing at HCG Gallery, Summer Selections 2.0. The show runs May 29-June 26, 2010.
1130 Dragon St, Suite 190 (off Howell)
Dallas, TX 75207
214-760-9230

http://www.chubirka.com/
http://www.chubirkagallery.blogspot.com/
chubirka@suddenlink.net

If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment