Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Artist Interview: Matthew S. Kennedy




What is your name:  Matthew S. Kennedy

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I am a self taught artist and have been doing ceramics now for about 15 years.

What is the style of your pieces:  I try and incorporate the art of tattoos into my artwork.  I like to carve a lot on my clay pieces so I am working right now on a coy fish and different "themes" people would have tattooed on themselves.

What is the medium in which you work: Clay, I throw on the potters wheel.

What started you on your path as an artist: I got sober and been in AA now for 15 years as well.  I was a pool player and a local hustler and my sponsor told me to get a new hobby cuz I need to stay out of the bars. I asked my mom for a potters wheel and she got me one for Christmas.  I was so excited about it I just started to read books and I mean 1,000's of books.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Peace and balance.  It has also taught me a great deal about patience.. It takes a long time to finish a piece because of the drying time, etc...  Clay is a great medium but takes a lot to produce and people seem not to respect the art form or I should say they are not aware of the work that goes into each piece. Art is my life and I have chosen to live an artist life and that is not easy, artist have a rough road if they fight it but I am working on having balance in my life and just going with the flow..

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Tattoo Industry!  This has been my inspiration and I love the art.  I try and do similar thing on my art pieces.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I like to do the Hermosa Beach art show in June every year.  It is a great art show and lots of people that have a deep respect for art and ceramic art in particular.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  No

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Not having money.. I am sure every artist answers this question the same to start.  It is a very hard road... But if you don;t fight it and put your energy into producing your art and staying true to yourself you can have a great life.  It has been hard to accept my life as an artist because I have been used to making money in the business world.  It is hard to changing your direction in life reaching your 40's (39 Yr.s old). It also hard to promote your business and find time to the art you want to do and your should is burning to produce.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Pastrami!!!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Tattoo Art!  I am really working on this and it is something I am passionate about.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Nikko Hurtado

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: A sculpture in downtown Seatle Wa. right next to McDonalds.  It was a great big piece of sculpture on the corner and it was very flowing..

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: They all love it hahaha.  I have a cat Named "Charby" Black and about 12 years old.  Very cool Cat.  I also have 3 dogs:  Tessie and Emily (Boston Terriers) and "Beezy" a wiener/terrier mix.  I love animals and I also give to the Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation and named my business "TooTall's Pottery" from my Saint Bernard "TooTall".

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  No, not at this time..
Thank you for doing this story on me! (You are so welcome)
Have a great day, Matt

Matthew S. Kennedy
www.tootallspottery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment