Monday, September 19, 2011

Artist Interview: Rosetta Theresa DeBerardinis




 What is your name: Rosetta Theresa DeBerardinis

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I began art classes at Pratt Institute at the age of five and continued there for ten years, then took classes during my undergraduate years at Vassar College.

What is the style of your pieces: I am an abstract expressionist.

What is the medium in which you work: I mainly use acrylics.

What started you on your path as an artist: The need to create, explore, experiment and translate my inner emotions into form, whether it is visual art or the written word.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Freedom of expression, the ability to create something from nothing.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Literature.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Yes, I frequently exhibit.  Each venue has a different audience. I enjoy the shows, which allow you to dialogue about the work as opposed to those audiences looking for something blue to match the sofa.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Yes, lots of them. I have clothes that I wear specifically for studio work, and other clothing becomes paint clothes when I think I control the pigment, adding a line or two without getting paint on them. Once there is paint on my apparel, I just keep going.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? The journey is a difficult one. You must fight just to keep going creatively, mentally and physically. You wake up each day with only the desire to create but reality often robs you of that creative opportunity.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Warm Corned beef on rye bread with seeds and brown mustard. Oh, and a kosher pickle.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Yes, I began to use more mediums and gels in my paintings. Did lots more pen and ink drawings than usual and new sculptural works using found objects.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: No surprise here, Jackson Pollock.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Pollock’s “Lavender Mist”. I have prayed before it hundreds of times.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: My wonderful dog, Olive Oyl, died last year.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I will be featured at the Hill Center a new exciting renovation on Capitol Hill opening this fall. A solo exhibition at The Corner Store Arts in June and at the Ratner Museum in 2013. I am busy writing exhibition proposals now. Additional shows will be listed on my web site.

       
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment