Monday, November 1, 2010

Artist Interview: Judith Seay



What is your name:
Judith Seay


Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:

I have a BFA from SMU with further studies at UT, UNT, and SMU and many years of painting.



What is the style of your pieces:

Contemporary


What is the medium in which you work:

oil on canvas


What started you on your path as an artist:
My Mother was an artist and some of my college friends were having more fun in art classes than I was in education classes so I changed my major and have not quit painting since then.  I worked at an art gallery when I was in college where they sold DeForest Judd's paintings and he was my painting teacher. Jerry By waters and some other Dallas Nine friends were my teachers so they influenced me. I believe they also had a great influence in Dallas art, taking it into the 20th century contemporary movement.



What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your
life:  
Peace of mind!



What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
Architecture


Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:

I show at the Mary Tomas Gallery and the Andelon Gallery and other shows when I am asked like the one Rita Barnard has at Whiterock Lake. The last show a month ago at the Mary Tomas Gallery was a lot of fun.
Many people were there because of the DADA art walk and many of my friends were there. I enjoy showing my work almost as much as creating it.


Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: I wear old jeans and t shirt when I paint,  I live "out in the country" and only dress up when I come to the Big D which is often since my friends and family are there.


What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
It has been frustrating for years not being able to get my work in front of the people who need and want to see it. Facebook, linkedin and websites etc have made such a difference! I look forward to when the economy returns because I have a large body of work and name and work recognition that I believe will serve me well when the time is right. I'm ready!

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:
peanut butter and jelly


Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:
I have had more shows this year than ever before and it has forced me to paint a lot. I have a wide range of styles so I have been able to develop a common thread throughout all my works that will make my paintings recognizable as my work. I have painted non-objective paintings and abstract landscapes that actually look very similar. The palette knife landscapes I am doing now remind me of the ones I did 15 years ago, but I have improved my technique. I am also doing thin paint "dreamscapes" like I did 15 years ago but they are more effortless now that I have better painting skills and the freedom makes a better painting, thick or thin paint.


Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:

Gustav Klimt

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Rufino Tamayo


Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:

I have a Siberian Husky named Breeze and her "Country" son Tuffy. Their favorite place to be is under my feet while I paint in my studio. I am their favorite artist.


Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with up:

 No  I am in the painting stage since my latest show in September. Mary will probably show some more soon, she has several of mine in the gallery but  I would like to show again in about 6 months. I have a good feeling about what I am painting now.

www.judithseay.com

artseay@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment