Sunday, November 14, 2010

Artist Interview: Adam Reeder



What is your name:

Adam Reeder

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:

Self taught, worked for 10 years as a sculptor, then got an MFA in sculpture to acquire skills I lacked.

What is the style of your pieces:

I sculpt with realism. However, I do not sculpt just to "make a pretty sculpture". I sculpt because I have something I FEEL, which needs to get out. Or I sculpt because there is something I want to say.

What is the medium in which you work:

I sculpt in clay oil, and water based. I typically cast in bronze. Though I do occasionally create one out of mix media.

What started you on your path as an artist:

I fell in love with comic book art as a kid. I have known since then that I had to be an artist. My mother was always supportive, even when my work wasn't very strong. She told me I could do it if I worked hard, and I believed her. More recently, a family friend and sculptor Gary Lee Price gave me some clay 15 years ago, and I fell in love with it.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:

Humility. Being "self taught" means one must seek out learning from those who already know. You get a lot of dirt kicked in your face. You learn to take and apply criticism. You learn to uplift those on the path behind you rather than hurt them because they are not at your level.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:
I love the Romantic period. But that doesn't answer your question….hmmm, Illustration. I am a fine artist working in a figurative language. My next favorite genre is illustration working in a figurative language.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:


I have had dozens of shows in the last 4 years, so it's tough to say what "normal" is.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:

Messy cloths! haha! sculpting isn't sexy, it is a dirty job. But I will say that it can be magical at times. I usually always have jeans on. If I weld, I wear boots. I live in the San francisco Bay Area, so it is always nice weather….I dress accordingly.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?

Dealing with hot head older artists who are threatened by me. I guess it makes me sad considering how had I try to help rather than hurt. I even made a head sculpting DVD where I show everything I learned. So younger folks don't have to struggle as I have. DVD is at www.studiorealism.com.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:

Italian sub (My family on my Mom's side is Italian). Plus my beautiful wife has Italian blood. The flavorful foods are what we live for!!! besides our kids, but I digress.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:

I have done more commissions than I have in the past.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:

Oh man, that is tough. Sculpture, painting, illustration, PoP, FIne art, or classical??Dead- Bernini. Alive- There are several who are part of a new realism movement called Novorealism. Those guys and several who are close to those guys. Most of which I found on Face Book.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:

The David sculpture at Forrest lawn in LA.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:

I have 4 kids and they seem to approve of my work.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:

Yes, There is one show I am a part of on Nov 22nd in London UK called "Parallax". This show is uncommon because it has the support of some HUGE academics, also museum directors from around the world, some celebs, and the Secretary of culture for the UK. I think it would be cool for you to write about that show all by itself.

I also show in the Sugarman Gallery in Santa Fe NM.

   www.adamreeder.com
   adam@adamreeder.com     

No comments:

Post a Comment