Monday, June 20, 2011

Artist Interview: Jamie Martinez




Name: Jamie Martinez

Education: I went to art school in Miami and NYC for fashion merchandising with a minor in fine art.

Style of your pieces: I am a figurative painter using a new movement in art called triangulism... which deconstructs the painting by using geometric triangles and by process of elimination, only it’s core triangles are left to show the true meaning of the subject.

Medium: Oil on cotton is my medium and I also do photography

Path as an artist: My brother is a very talented artist and he showed my the way.

Important things that art has brought you? It has brought me closer to knowing myself and it opened a whole new way to look at the world… as an artist.

Favorite genre of art besides my work? I love hyper realism a lot!

Art showings coming up? I have a solo show in September at Orchard Windows Gallery in NYC. The show is called “I’m having trouble cutting this ballerina”. My showings are fun and full of interesting people.

Clothes you make art in? Yes, I keep winter and summer painting outfits… I have to because I ruined so many clothes.

Most frustrating part of being an artist? The most frustrating part is trying to get in to bigger galleries than I currently show at… it seems that most gallerist will not even speak to you, and they are usually pretty rude.

Favorite sandwich? My favorite sandwich is the media noche.

This year and changes In my work? I haven’t changed much in my work this year because my work relies with using triangles… I am focusing more on figurative drawing and not so much on personal portraits.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead? That’s an easy one…. Pablo Ruiz Picasso.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that I have seen in person? Guernica by Picasso at the Met.

Do I have any animals? Yes, I have a black pug called Boonkie and he loves to watch me paint… He also loves to step on wet paint as much as possible.

Exhibitions coming up? I have a solo show in September at Orchard Windows Gallery in NYC. The show is called “I’m having trouble cutting this ballerina”. I will also be showing in Miami for Art Basel with Orchard Windows Gallery in December. 



No comments:

Post a Comment