Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Artist Interview: Christian Brock Forrer

What is your name: 
Christian Brock Forrer

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
Unfortunately, yes. I'm currently attending Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, IN as a printmaker, coming up on my senior year. 

What is the style of your pieces:
I'm sure I have some type of identified style, but I usually just explain it as low brow/street art with definition and a midwestern flare.

What is the medium in which you work: 
In the last 3 years, I've worked mostly with printmaking (lithography, etching, monotype, woodcut, etc.), but outside of that I really enjoy using found woods, acrylic, watercolor, and black blacks of any kind.  I usually describle my materials as highly assorted mixed media.  I try and use whatever I can find for free or very cheap.

What started you on your path as an artist: 
Skateboarding was my gateway early in my teens.  From skateboard graphics and magazines to videos and zines...I liked it all. It was an extra aspect of skateboarding that I was thoroughly interested in. 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
Work ethic and learning how to work smarter and faster.  In doing shows and having critiques in school, there is always something that needs to still be done.  Making art covers a lot of different processes, and printmaking, for one, is labor intensive and incredibly time consuming. In order not to completely shut down, I have to manage my time wisely and plan out any process step by step in order to work quickly and avoid any mistakes.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
Furniture design and sculpture are two huge areas that I am eager to explore further in the future.  The possibilities, as well as the functionality, of these genres are exciting and more open ended and accepting than two- dimensional work. 

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 
I've only had a few showings, and they've always been part of group exhibitions.  Typically, I have no real say how my work is hung or where it gets hung at. I've really never had control over an opening that I've participated in.  Hopefully I'll have better opportunities soon. 

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
Anything thats clean or that doesn't smell dirty. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
No money, no food, not really any nice belongings, living paycheck to paycheck, no workspace, etc... 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
Toasted peanut butter and banana, Elvis style.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
I've decided to engage in more color, larger scale, and just a higher quality or work all around.  Mainly just pushing myself a little harder. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 
Barry Mcgee/Margaret Kilgallen.  Formerly the best duo in art.
 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
Jasper Johns at NYMoMA.  That was my jam. 

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
I live with 2 dogs and a cat. Theyre usually walking all over it, so I don't think they like it very much. Bummer

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
Cranky Yellow, St. Louis, MO. First Friday of August. 
  

http://www.etsy.com/shop/gapelsue?ref=si_shop              
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment