Saturday, June 25, 2011

Artist Interview: Colin Ruel



What is your name: Colin Ruel

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I am a self taught artist

What is the style of your pieces: narrative

What is the medium in which you work: I use acrylic, colored pencil and some oil

What started you on your path as an artist: My grandparents paint and carve there folk artists  I started them.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:  Its a way for me to express myself spiritually without the hinderence of words

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: music

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  I have a show in the Lower East side at the Saphire Lounge july 14th, 15 and 16th that should be a party its a  club they play alot of house music. I also have a show on Marthas Vineyard in september at the Shepard Breeze gallery, that will probablly turn into a party as well

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  its hot in my studio somtimes I wear shorts sometimes not

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Having to sell paintings

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:   fried green tomato BLT

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Ive started doing a series of large geometric paintings

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Alphonse Mucha
 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: a Pollock at the tate modern i dont know its name

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  Maxwell a cat, hes been busy with his own work

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Saphire Lounge Lower East Side, Solo Show 249 Eldridge St NY, NY 1002 July 14th, 15th, and 16th 7 to 10:00

 
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment