Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Artist Interview: Marcus R. Thomas aka The Urban Monk

The Zebras ate my left Shoe mixed media


What is your name: Marcus R. Thomas aka The Urban Monk

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 12 years at Central Ohio Art Academy, 10 years at Savannah College of Art & Design

What is the style of your pieces: Post Modern Barbequeism (pronounced- Bar-Be-Q-ism)

What is the medium in which you work: I work in mixed media or I let concept dictate.

What started you on your path as an artist: I told my mom when I was six years old I was going to win this international art competition at school. She laughed, but agreed that if I did she would enroll me in private art lessons. So… I won, and the rest is history.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: A learned skill and self worth that is rarely found in people today.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Cubism, Futurism, and Russian Constructivism

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have a couple or so a year, but I prefer the term “Art Party”… Zero pretentiousness with good music, drinks, bbq, and most importantly cupcakes. No matter the venue cupcakes are a must. (Semone) Can I have a cupcake...

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Skull shoes (not actually skulls, but patterns), doctor scrub pants, shirt optional.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Making money and justifying my prices to non-art people.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: EASY, Big bacon classic, even though they tried to change it up and call it the Deluxe. It’ll always be the Classic to me.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: Yes, I have been on a writing a binge. I currently published one novel Picasso’s Marauders, one book of poetry 3rd Shit Epiphanies: Chronicles of a gas attendant, and I am under going a major project of writing, directing, and art direction on an independent film for release late 2011-2012.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Pablo Picasso. He had his hands in everything and he invented collage. You know you’re good when you can event a new form of art. Plus, he spent the last decades of his life writing plays. Be it good or not, he still did it.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: Hmmm, that’s a tough one since I don’t really like art all that much. Oops, did I say that? I guess it would be Fantasia the movie. It has always stuck with me.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have no animals, but have lived with several and they are always perplexed by my work, yet seem to respect it. I once had a praying mantis approach my work while I was painting outside. It just stayed for a good hour or so right beside me. That sucker was big enough to hold my paints for me.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: June 11th Bristol Bar in Columbus, Ohio. June 17th “Art in the City” at the Vault Columbus, Ohio, and a show in Joliet, Illinois (T.B.A.), and Chicago Illinois (T.B.A.)


Marcus R. Thomas


If you are an artist and would like to be featured email sivy221@aol.com



No comments:

Post a Comment