Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Artist Interview: Jina Wallwork





What is your name: Jina Wallwork

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I trained at Staffordshire University.

What is the style of your pieces: The work is constantly evolving and changing. Style based labels, can sometimes restrict the natural evolution of your art. I embrace an organic free-flowing process where I don't aim to create in any particular style. However, I am still influenced by great artists and because of this certain stylistic influences will become more prominent at different times.

What is the medium in which you work: I paint mainly in acrylic.

What started you on your path as an artist: This path is very much a reflection of who I am. Art is an expression of self; it is a method of communicating and interacting with the world. The desire to communicate visually has always been within me.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: I find it difficult to imagine life without art. It is so integrated into my life, I don't think I can separate its influence in order to fully appreciate all it has given me.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: It is very difficult to compare different genres. Abstract expressionism is amazing because of its focus on gesture. Surrealism creates some amazing aesthetics. They are both valuable to an artist in completely different ways. I find myself influenced by aspects of a genre, rather than being completely submerged within it.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: They are all very different.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: It would probably be sensible to do so. I paint in whatever I'm wearing. I have a collection of clothes that feature paint marks.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? I only found being artist frustrating when I believed what others said about the profession. If you don't have any successful artists within your social network, you begin to believe it is impossible to succeed with your circumstances. People talk of the obstacles within the profession. They make them seem much larger than they are. Andy Warhol was the forth child of a working class immigrant family. He then went on to be one of the most successful artists of his generation. Some limitations are imaginary.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Banana.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: A large volume of small changes; rather than large abrupt changes. It is an evolving practice.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Michelangelo. Mikhail Vrubel, Franz Marc, Giovanni Segantini .... to name a few. I could never pick a single artist. We are truly blessed with the art that we have access to.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: It has to be a series by Ferdinand Hodler. His mistress was diagnosed with cancer and he painted her final days. I haven't seen these pieces in person but I do find them very emotionally charged.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: My tree sculpture is used by birds and squirrels. I have received no complaints.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Yes I have some exhibitions both in the UK and the US. There are more details on my website.

Web address www.jinawallwork.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. I must question whether Warhol was the most successful artist of his generation. Finacially? probably; influentially?yes; but a great artist? hmmmm Everytime I see a Warhol I look, ponder, get it and then move on, in something near the speed of light; nothing there for my soul. You've heard of a soul, right?

    ReplyDelete