Monday, May 23, 2011

Artist Interview: David Graham

What is your name: David Graham.

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I did recieve my BFA but I was primaraly taught graphic design and little fine art, I guess its little self taught and little educated.

What is the style of your pieces: The theme of death but the humor and campiness of an exploitation film.

What is the medium in which you work: Acrylics and sharpie marker.

What started you on your path as an artist: After college when I gave up on graphic design I fell in love with creating portraits of dead people.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: It gave me a way to connect to people.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: I really love vintage movie culture and my favorite art form is the old grindhouse style posters. Between the absurd subject material and cheapness I have a soft spot for this lost movie poster art form.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: My art showings have mainly been in bars or very small venues. When I start getting gallery shows I want to treat them like a funeral service. But a fun funeral service.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Usually my pajamas since I paint from home.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Trying to find venues to show at or even galleries to look at my work.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: A sandwich in pizza or taco form.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: I am more obsessive with my paintings in trying to get them just the way I want them. I blame "Black Swan" for making me obsessive but havent gone to that extreme of stabbing my face yet.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Diane Arbus. 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: This comic book cover James Jean did for the comic "Fables". It was a painting of a pilgrim drowning two women from the Salem Witch Trials. It was really morbid and I fell in love with it instantly.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: No pets but im sure they wouldnt like it. Animals are kind of rude when it comes to stuff like that.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: I have a show in the backroom of a really nice gallery in Greenlawn, Long Island called The Ripe Art Gallery but other than that no shows but I do post them on the Facebook fan page.

No comments:

Post a Comment