Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Artist Interview: Eileen Neacy



What is your name:   Eileen Neacy

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:   I have taken several courses, but for the most part I am self taught.

What is the style of your pieces:   I mostly work on impressionistic landscapes -- creating visual movement in the images.

What is the medium in which you work:  Mostly, I like acrylic on canvas - or canvas board. 

What started you on your path as an artist:  From my earliest memories I have always enjoyed art -- all types, from the balance of images created with black and white photographs to more traditional painting formats and newer mixed media to sculpture, visual installations, architecture, graffiti, etc.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: One of my favorite saying is "The difference between life and living is art".  I believe creative expression through any medium -- visual, performance, music, etc. -- defines "human-ness".

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: This is a hard question - as I like so many -- but I have a warm spot in my heart for portraits.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I have done a lot of different showings from street fairs to gallery shows to private events.  It is wonderful to meet people.  It is fascinating to see how people respond to different pieces.  At a show this week, one young women said "I saw that piece from across the room and was instantly drawn to it".  It is statements like that that make doing art showings interesting for me.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: Preferably something that already has paint on it -- it's a large collection.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Not having enough time to do all the projects that I want to.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Smoked turkey, brie cheese on an everything bagel - with some thinly sliced green apple.  Delicious!

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  This year has been about -- larger and smaller.  A lot of my work in the last three years has been on a 18"x24" format.  This year I have completed a number of small pieces (for a specific show) on a 5"x7" format and much larger 48"x96" format for a specific installation.  These new formats have been fun and challenging -- adding new elements to my work.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Only one...you must be kidding!  I love John Singer Sargent -- but many, many others as well.

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:  "Irises" by van Gogh

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I have three dogs -- however one is dressed as a cat.  All are Facebook fans -- although the cat-like creature would like to see more feline subject matter incorporated - soon.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Nothing slated for the next 4 weeks, but I keep my site up to date with upcoming exhibits.

Web address       www.eileenneacy.com
                  
email                      eileen@eileenneacy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment