Monday, November 15, 2010

Dream a little Art Dream


I didn't set out to be a painter.  In fact I was a metal smith major in college.  I had my life all planned out.  I would finish my courses, graduate, do an internship in Italy, then scurry my way up the chain in a jewelry house-- then fly out on my own making jewelry for everyone! Ok--so I had big dreams.  I was pretty self assured, and was happy to be walking in my own shoes.  Then shit happened.  I got really sick-- from what I didn't know at the time-- and had to move home.  I took a year off school.  When I did go back I went to a college in town.  Well, they had no jewelry program.  Only a beginner class, which I ended up teaching.  The school was small, and at the time we had one sculpture teacher- a pot head potter and a painting professor.  The sculpture teacher was gone after my first semester, which left pottery and painting.  I should have left then and gone to medical school like my parents wanted me to-- but alas I was born to be tortured.  I didn't hit it off well with the pot man, and continually received shitty grades in his class. I basically had to take his class if I wanted to get my credits to graduate withing a 10 year span.  In painting I was a little more happy.  My professor happened to be cocky and challenged conventional realism.  I for one was intrigued.  My abstract-ish paintings were never grade winners in high school- but this place seemed to be for me.  The more I studied expressionism, modernists, minimalism, color-- the more I liked it.  The bigger the better. There is a beauty in simplicity, in mark making itself-- in the fundamentals. "Brushstrokes never lie," my professor told me, and he was right.  You can see passion or complacency with a single scrawl.  I love all art, and could look at works endlessly.  So this is how I went from a jewelry designer to a painter.

Did you start out as a painter and end up a sculptor?  How about potter to a print maker... A writer to a singer or a maybe a banker to a poet...

6 comments:

  1. Always drew, but was a musician until I picked up a paintbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became a painter because I had writer's block... Much like now;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artists to ad sales and back again. Thank god I made it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i started out in classical ballet and music. how i ended up painting in a scene shop, then painting murals is beyond me. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to be the next jimi Hendrix. I felt at an early age. I mean I really felt it. I believed with all my heart it was destined for me. When my graphic designer mother met and began dating a highly creative photographer, my dreams to play the big time were practically set. He had two kids my age in school at arts magnet at Booker. I auditioned for the music cluster and had to have made it in purely on enthusiasm alone. After three years at Booker t I had a complete understanding of where, when , how, and why I could accomplish my goal. After stints in band after band and job after job to support my musical habits, I landed on a creative job opportunity learning and applying decorative finishes on any and every surface. It was like easy money if I could get the work. I happily studied everything there was to know about it. The work seemed easy and dang! The final product was cool to gaze upon. I could often be found downtown at the library collecting my stack of books to take home for the weeks of interesting study and discovery I encountered. For it was here I discovered the crossover between fine craftsman and fine artist. As my career advanced, so did the size of homes I worked for. Have you ever seen a Lee Bontecue or an early Donald Judd in a private collection? I was lucky to see many wonderful and famed art pieces in these homes. I mean... who needs a museum?! I was getting nicely paid and was experiencing a top notch art education all at once.
    Eventually my craft merged with fine art as well
    And I have never looked back. I still think I will be the next jimi Hendrix one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Story LeDoux-- I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete